Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Much to Service a Car??

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I have a 2002 Seat Leon that I bought last Autumn. It is time for it's NCT and it is also due a service. How much should I expect to pay? One local garage quoted about €200. Does that sound reasonable? There might also be a tiny paint touch up needed. When I bought it I had a mechanic look at it and had 2 tyres and a section of the exhaust replaced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I generally pay between ~120 euros for a small service to 200 if there's a lot done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

cianclarke wrote: »
    I generally pay between ~120 euros for a small service to 200 if there's a lot done.
    E150
    opel corsa only its second service
    I got the first one free
    as it was a new car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Our leon usually costs ~200 to get a service at the main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭guil

do it urself much cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

guil07 wrote: »
    do it urself much cheaper

€200 sounds about right to me to be honest for a 12k type service, and it'll save you a load of hassle.

Based on estimated retail costs as follows:

Oil - €25
    Filter - €8
    Air Filter - 13
    Plugs - €22
    Brake/Steering/Coolant top ups - Call it €20 if you've to buy all 3

That's approximately €88 for parts etc, if you walk into your local motor factors and buy good quality parts.

If you need to buy tools such as a filter wrench, plug socket, drain pan etc, add about another €40-50. If you need a Haynes manual or similar, another €26....I'm presuming you've never done a service before yourself too?

So, it could be about €150 this time 'round if you do it yourself. And assuming you don't miss anything or damage anything in the process.....cross threading a plug, rounding off the sump nut, and similar amateur mistakes.

Add in your time - What's that worth? Grubby hands, oily driveway where you drop the sump drain plug etc....the trip to the recycling facility to dispose of the waste oil etc....

If you're into maintaining your own car, or learning how to do it, then buy the tools and you'll save on your next service of course. But if it's a headache, pay someone to do it. At least that way you'll get things like your brake pads and disks checked (competently), and more than likely a list of whatever else might need attention before the NCT....

Just my thoughts.

Ta,

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

The €200 price was from a local garage, not a main dealer. I just got another quote of €230 + VAT. The latest price is from another indy garage that I have used many times before. He's really good but as you can see, a tad pricey. There seems to be a big differentiation in the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I serviced my Astra for the first time there on Saturday, it only took an hour and I really enjoyed it. Saved myself a fortune as well.

Bought in Halfords.

Oil - 28e
    Oil Filter - 12e
    Sparks - 25e
    Air filter - 11e

Parked the front on the car up on home made ramps (thanks to the father in law for making them). Haynes manual on the floor and started working away and I have to say I enjoyed it.

Change the oil: This is 1.4 Astra but all cars are similiar.

Put on a pair of gloves
    Un-do Oil filler cap.
    Un-do screws holding engine cover on.
    Take off engine cover.
    Replace Oil filler cap. Stop the flys etc going in.
    Put old sheets on the drive.
    Place a big bucket under the sump to catch the oil.
    Loosing Sump nut with the right tool until you see oil starting to drip out.
    Take off the Oil filler cap - this helps the oil flow out of the sump.
    Remove the oil sump nut (catch it before it falls into the bucket).
    Let the oil flow out for a couple of minutes till it stops.
    Move the bucket around to catch the oil as the oil flows slows.
    Clean the exit of the oil sump, the sump nut and copper washer (replace if looks old and worn).
    Replace the oil sump nut and washer back on and tighten.
    Remove oil filter, again position bucket to catch oil.
    When removing oil filter helps to have the tool for this.
    When removing oil filter whole the bit that screws on upwards to stop the oil in the filter from coming out on top of you.
    Poor oil in the filter into bucket.
    Clean the area where the oil filter goes.
    Get new filter and rub oil around the oil filter gasket on the filter and screw back on.
    Top up oil 3/4 full. Leave to settle for 5 mintues, start the car to run oil through the filter.
    Take the car off the ramps.
    Fill oil to max mark. Do not over fill.
    Put engine cover back on. Done!

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    €200 sounds about right to me to be honest for a 12k type service, and it'll save you a load of hassle.

Oil - €25
    Filter - €8
    Air Filter - 13
    Plugs - €22
    Brake/Steering/Coolant top ups - Call it €20 if you've to but all 3

That's approximately €88 for parts etc, if you walk into your local motorfactors and buy good quality parts.

If you need to buy tools such as a filter wrench, plug socket, drain pan etc, add about another €40-50. If you need a Haynes manual or similar, another €26....I'm presuming you've never done a service before yourself too?

So, it could be about €150 this time 'round if you do it yourself. And assuming you don't miss anything or damage anything in the process.....cross threading a plug, rounding off the sump nut, and similar amateur mistakes.

Add in your time - What's that worth? Grubby hands, oily driveway where you drop the sump drain plug etc....the trip to the recycling facility to dispose of the waste oil etc....

If you're into maintaining your own car, or learning how to do it, then buy the tools and you'll save on your next service of course. But if it's a headache, pay someone to do it. At least that way you'll get things like your brake pads and disks checked (competently), and more than likely a list of whatever else might need attention before the NCT....

Just my thoughts.

Ta,

Gil

i have a load of tools, filter wrench is a waste imo and have always done any work on my car myself never broke anyting yet (fingers crossed)

Ah right. So tell me then bright spark, are you going to go to the OP's house to service his car?

If not, what's your point? Your tools are your tools. If the OP doesn't have them, he'd have to spend the extra.

A filter wrench can be a godsend in a confined engine bay, but your opinion is duly noted, to be at odds with my own.

all he would need is a socket set ya could get a cheap set in halfords for 20 quid that would do to just service and u qouted me so i presumed ya were tlkain to me aswell when ya strat mentionin tools and bout never doin a service before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

kluivert wrote: »
    I serviced my Astra for the first time there on Saturday, it only took an hour and I really enjoyed it. Saved myself a fortune as well...

...Put engine cover back on. Done!

May I ask what you're doing with the big bucket of waste oil?

Also, none of the instructions so far have told the OP how to check their brakes for wear & faults & fluid levels, tyres have not been addressed, condition of fluid hoses - i.e. all the SAFETY related bits.

You'll also need to be confident in your exhaust system, headlight alignment, bushings and boots, and various belts (timing best especially). You'll need to sign a form that says your timing belt is ok, and if it fails during the NCT that they're not liable for any of the repair bills.

OP, if you're looking to learn how to service your car, then this is turning into a great thread. If you're looking to get a service done by a competent professional so you're more likely to pass your NCT, then ask your friends/family to recommend someone and then haggle with them over price.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Oil - €25
    Filter - €8
    Air Filter - 13
    Plugs - €22
    Brake/Steering/Coolant top ups - Call it €20 if you've to buy all 3

That's approximately €88 for parts etc, if you walk into your local motor factors and buy good quality parts.

Just my thoughts.

Ta,

Gil

Its advice like this which frightens people into paying a garage crazy money for a simple 1 hour job.

Chances are these will be the only items needed:
    Oil - €25
    Filter - €8
    Air Filter - 13
    Plugs - €22

68 euro in total lets say.
    There are plenty of websites which can tell you how to fit parts and change the oil etc..

Ive never needed a filter wrench and have serviced many vehicles.
    Drain pan = Bucket.

The only thing needed is a socket set with extension bar or a sparkplug removal tool.

It realy is simple for anybody to do and will save money and the time and the hassel of booking it in to a garage.

AudiChris wrote: »
    May I ask what you're doing with the big bucket of waste oil?

Sell it on ebay..

Well I know a lad who pours it down his drain but i wouldnt do that.

Its advice like this which frightens people into paying a garage crazy money for a simple 1 hour job.

Rubbish. It's crank advice that encourages people to do things they're not competent to do that winds up with them getting out of their depth and having to pay a professional to clean up their mess in instead of just handing them the straightforward job to do in the first place..... Have you ever encountered a cross threaded wheel nut or spark plug? Tell me that's the result of a competent professional as opposed to a fly by night operator or clueless DIY mechanic...
    Chances are these will be the only items needed:
    Oil - €25
    Filter - €8
    Air Filter - 13
    Plugs - €22

68 euro in total lets say.
    There are plenty of websites which can tell you how to fit parts and change the oil etc..

Chance would be a fine thing. Shop from this abbreviated list and you'll likely end up making a trip to the motorfactors to pick up one or other item you've left off. That adds up to inconvenience. If you're going to start a job, make sure you have everything to hand. Otherwise you're just farting around. If that's what you want, then fine. But I'd rather get in and get it done. No messing about.
    Ive never needed a filter wrench and have serviced many vehicles.
    Drain pan = Bucket.

Then I guess you're the kind of guy who waits for the engine & oil to cool down before you drain the sump? Run it to operating temperature and then try removing the oil filter without a wrench. See just how far you get. Or would you hammer a screwdriver through the side of the filter instead? If you don't get it good and hot, you're not doing the job properly.
    The only thing needed is a socket set with extension bar or a sparkplug removal tool.

If you're going to think about doing your own work on your car, you NEED to invest in the tools and manuals so you aren't relying on asking questions online or trying to find the answers when you're half way through the job.....

What about gapping new plugs? Or cleaning the old ones? What about that 8mm square drain plug key you might need? What'll you do? Hammer an old screwdriver in there too? How about the torx keys you might need to remove the engine cover in the first place? Huh? What do you do when you pull the silicon HT lead out of the plug socket? What do you do then? With your car immobilised and you cursing and swearing at yourself for not just getting a mechanic to do it in the first place?
    It realy is simple for anybody to do and will save money and the time and the hassel of booking it in to a garage.

Saving money and hassle is exactly WHY most people are better off paying a garage to do the job. I like working on my own car, and I'm competent enough to save money by doing so. But that doesn't mean it's a balanced approach for everyone to take.

@AudiChris - Everyone should be able to check their tyres/fluids etc. But you're right about inspecting brake lines, exhaust, headlights etc.... These are all value adds that a garage/mechanic can provide. I wouldn't suggest anyone take it upon themselves to describe to a novice amateur mechanic how to check and service their brake system here though, it's hardly the place for technical accuracy from what I've seen. ;)

You dont have to be a professional to service a car, anybody can get a guide from the net on how to do it properly.

Its not a difficult task once you know one end of a spanner from the other.

Well worth looking at imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CarloC

Man get it done by a garage your car will be a lot easier to sell on with a service history

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I am hugely impressed by posters who service their own cars. I am always keen to tackle jobs myself. But unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment.

So I got a price from a main Seat dealer and it would cost just under €300. €200 for the service and another few quid to check things for the NCT. Not such a bad price but I'm still going to the local garage for €200.

Thanks for all the responses and any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Mags16,

If it's going to cost you about €100 to get a pre NCT check done, why not just pay the €49 for the test and see if it fails. If it does, you'll have a list of specific things that need attention before you bring it in for a retest....

It's the cheapest way of doing it, and to be honest, most garages simply don't have access to the kit they'd need to test it as thoroughly themselves. It's not like they'd give you a guarantee it'll pass - They'll just check what they can and charge you for the pleasure.

Get it serviced (as it's due anyway) and put it through for the test. Run through the checklist you'd have printed with your NCT booking confirmation, and go for broke

:)

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi Mags16,

If it's going to cost you about €100 to get a pre NCT check done, why not just pay the €49 for the test and see if it fails. If it does, you'll have a list of specific things that need attention before you bring it in for a retest....

It's the cheapest way of doing it, and to be honest, most garages simply don't have access to the kit they'd need to test it as thoroughly themselves. It's not like they'd give you a guarantee it'll pass - They'll just check what they can and charge you for the pleasure.

Get it serviced (as it's due anyway) and put it through for the test. Run through the checklist you'd have printed with your NCT booking confirmation, and go for broke

:)

Gil

This is excellant advice...
    Check the very basics yourself first..
    All lights
    Fluid levels
    Tyre pressures
    Wipers

Get the test done and see how you fair...
    If it passes then all you need is a reqular service...
    Best value way out...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

From a Ford Main dealer - I was quoted 252 for a service and 96 for an NCT check. I think that's pretty pricey for the NCT check and thought it should have been practically free with a service.
    Can anyone recommend a good independant - Northside Dublin, preferably close to Dart Line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You dont have to be a professional to service a car, anybody can get a guide from the net on how to do it properly.

Its not a difficult task once you know one end of a spanner from the other.

Well worth looking at imo.

There is a big difference in doing something and doing it well... the trick is to get a good mechanic, they will be well worth the money and peace of mind.

Advertisement