Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for starting off?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Well, not starting off as such (I've been playing for a couple of years but not regularly). I've never really read up on any of the theory and I know absolutely nothing about pot odds. I'm currently playing $30+$3 on PaddyPower with a bankroll of $1,500 - would this be considered an ok amount to work off (considering the stts I'm playing)?

Another thing, I got my working balance up to 2k over the weekend playing turbos. Then I began playing the better paced regular STTs and used a strategy where I was tight in the opening 3 levels, aggressive for the next couple, and then very aggressive at the end. Turned out to be a disaster - Went 12 games without a place in the money (LOADS of these were 3rd place finishes). This brought me back down to where I started - I then ended up playing a couple of turbos and won the two of them. Should I totally forget about the regular STTs? That run was painful!!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭adzer86

hey your BR is fine for that stake turbo stts are better if ur playin high stakes and are relying on rake back as part of your profit imo. You should pm BIGMICKG and ask for a few tips, he is quality and one of few who prefer to make a living form sng's. imo i think your strategy bout playing tight and gradually getting more aggresive in regular sngs is spot on mate, you simply just hit a wall that day. Stick with the programme and id say it will work. again mick is the lad you really wannt to be talkin to. Most people on this site talk bul**** and think they are class. You will get very few posts that you should actually listen to their advice, including this one;)
    but seriously pm mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Thanks adzer. What's this about rake back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭DBC2007

id agree with you that SnG are good dirk. i think if you are a good enough player then you could grind SnG all day and make a decent amount. they are also very good for getting your rakeback up if you play on a good site. good luck anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

pm sent

gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

something does not seem right with this thread

• Advertisement

:D

Yeah, I was expecting some flak or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

[QUOTE=adzer86; Most people on this site talk bul**** and think they are class. You will get very few posts that you should actually listen to their advice,

Just wondering, why do you bother reading the forum anyway?

Connie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

adzer86 wrote: »
    Most people on this site talk bul**** and think they are class. You will get very few posts that you should actually listen to their advice, including this one;)

charming

Before this thread descends further, any else got any advice based on what I posted in my first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

STT's are practically solved so playing them is pretty pointless unless you are awesome and you've done all the maths.

• Advertisement

Before this thread descends further, any else got any advice based on what I posted in my first post?

If you are a Sn'G player there is only one man to talk to and that is BIGMICKG. Seriously, most of the guys on here play cash online and even those who play Sn'Gs seriously would tell you BIGMICKG is the man to talk to (about anything but choice of jewellery :D - You know I'm messing with ya Mick)

The fact that you were given this advice in post #2 is why nobody really gave you any other advice. SnG's are a different proposition and most people don't really play them exclusively.

And don't mind adzer. Much as it drives me insane to agree with him, BigCityBanker made a great point in his well that in order to improve you have to be willing to post things that might make you look stupid and take the odd bit of flak from some of the posters so you can get the good advice from others.

Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    STT's are practically solved so playing them is pretty pointless unless you are awesome and you've done all the maths.

link plz?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I would move down levels, seriously. I think you've given an honest description and so will give honest advice.

You said you've never read up on theory or know nothing about pot odds? I wouldn't be playing $30 sitngo's if I was you. Start small, work on your theory and then move up, a BankRoll isnt a problem here so its just working on your game, which takes time.

Play 5 and 10 dollar sitngo's for a while til you feel your game has improved enough to take on higher limits.

OR

Just play cash, cos sitngos are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

I'd agree with Theresalwaysone about moving down levels

Moving to a site that offers rakeback is key as well if you are planning on playing a lot

Thanks for the replies guys. I take it you don't recommend playing on Paddypower then? It's the only place I've ever deposited and it's just handy for withdrawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

sendic wrote: »
    link plz?

Eric "sheets" Haber in his 2+2 pokercast interview.

Paddypower or not guys? (considering I'll be playing roughly 150-200 STTs p/w)

Reason I ask is that I'll get my money out of there asap if there's better.

i sent you a private massage earlier

i think you can't really ask for that type of advice around here

Alright cool, I'll look into that!

As a matter of interest, why can't I ask what's a good/bad site?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Alright cool, I'll look into that!

As a matter of interest, why can't I ask what's a good/bad site?
    You can, what BOPS is referring to; is that there's no discussing RB offers and the likes, if we allowed it there would be non stop spammers coming on trying to get people to sign up through their affiliate.

Look at people's sigs there are loads of people offering Rakeback. If you wanna play on iPoker RB isn't allowed there any more, but there's loads of "Loyalty Bonuses" and other similar promotions. If you want to PM "Shortstack" here on boards, he is the owner of Green Joker Poker, which offers much better value than PPP, but IMO there is much better value to be had there or elsewhere on the iPoker network when compared to PPP.

Ste05

• Advertisement

PPP offer great stuff like nudy women and large overlays in big live tourneys imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭adzer86

connie147 wrote: »

Just wondering, why do you bother reading the forum anyway?

Connie

Key word being most connie,
    I didnt say all were bad. Plus when you post a hh and get a good few answers generally the majority vote will be the right move, or you can just pm a user you think is worth listening to. Its just the people that come onto the site and ridicule other players about how bad they played the hand instead of positive feed back.
    Also it beats going onto bebo for a change when im dong sweet FA in college. hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

As someone who prefers tournaments to cash, I have found this thread informative. I too want to improve but I wasnt really aware of who was the best person to contact. I guess Mick'll be getting a pm from me sometime soon (if he doesnt mind) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Rake on PPP sit and goes is too high imo. The only place for SNGs is Stars (not sure about FTP, probably the number 2). Although, you're not gonna get any rakeback on Stars (unless you're a big shot), which is a pain in the butt.

Speaking of 9-man SNGs, I set my task this month to make $1000 playing SNGs. After trying and failing, I can safely say I'm never gonna play a sit and go again, ever in my life. Absolutely broke my heart, and they become so f'n boring. Fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I think if hell was an eternity of sit n goes it would scare any rational person into a life of pure good...God I hate them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Kamaldihnio

Tight Ted wrote: »
    Rake on PPP sit and goes is too high imo. The only place for SNGs is Stars (not sure about FTP, probably the number 2). Although, you're not gonna get any rakeback on Stars (unless you're a big shot), which is a pain in the butt.

Speaking of 9-man SNGs, I set my task this month to make $1000 playing SNGs. After trying and failing, I can safely say I'm never gonna play a sit and go again, ever in my life. Absolutely broke my heart, and they become so f'n boring. Fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, push.

I hear ya man, Mtt's are better craic. I do play the odd one here and there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    Eric "sheets" Haber in his 2+2 pokercast interview.

ty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

I had a thread book marked on 2+2 about SNGs being solved. I think its this, but its too long to read through again.

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7634141&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

Oh yeah, to the OP. Get some ICM software Im sure theres some fancy software out there now. Check SNG forum on 2+2 and the software forum.

Is this ICM software expensive or can it be got for free? Which software do you use as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Is this ICM software expensive or can it be got for free? Which software do you use as a matter of interest?

I dont play sitngoes, but SNG power tools was something i had a while ago. I'm not sure how expensive they are, but i think you can get them for free if you sign up to a few sites through some affliates. Best bet is the SNG forum on 2+2

There are some free online ICM calculators too.

Advertisement