Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The NCT Experience

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

had a test recently and failed it twice on emission.
    Not disputing the outcome, i hope they know what theyre talking about and it is a old car , ill try to fix it.

The 'odd' thing however was that after the 'teamleader' was explaining the fails to me, and me asking him for clarification on this because i did not understand it (something with wheel hubs) he started raising his voice, and practicly threw the paperwork at me, after i explained him to relax and explain to me again, he just turned around and walked away.

so i went to reception and ask where i can lodge a formal complaint.
    I made it clear it wasn't because of the outcome of the NCT test.
    the lovely girl told me the same person who gave me to feedback is the teamleader and he needs to tell me...
    so i got a form from him , after i explained to him that the nature of my complaint was 'customer service'.

when i was waiting there at the reception, it must have been a garage man walked up to the counter said hi to the girl and dropped the keys.
    when i was about to leave the NCT office one of the mechanics passed by to collect the key, and she goes 'its for andy' and the mechanic nods and walks out...

How am i suppose to take this serious? Ill try to put my car in by using a mechanic as well as this seems to be a requirement these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You're quite right to be suspicious. I have a vehicle that needs a fair bit of work done to get her ready for a test....She's off the road until it's all sorted.

I was told by a cousin in the motor trade that €50 and a call to one of his local NCTS centre staff's mobiles (Carlow/Kilkenny area) would see a blind eye turned to anything that didn't show a fail on a machine test.... Badly worn bushings, torn steering rack/CV gaiters, questionable tyres, worn/loose wheel bearings, fouling on bodykits etc.

I've long known of similar shenanigans in the DOE test centres, but I'd really thought the NCTS had done enough to eliminate this type of p***-taking after the bad press a few years back. Apparently not.

Needless to say, my 'project' is still off the road pending completion of the work it'll need to go there legally, but it raises the question of just how reliable the NCT is as a 'point in time' test at all....

The customer service is an altogether different matter. Personally, I've had very good experiences dealing with the test centre staff over in Deansgrange. Those South African lads who are there now know their stuff, and they're helpful enough to mark up what's failed with some white marking crayons, so a mechanic can go to work without having to interpret those crappy test result sheets....

Maybe just a bad day for the supervisor?

Advertisement