Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting a UK imported speedo to kmh?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

If I import a car from the UK, is it possible to get the original mph/kph speedo replaced with a kph one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends on the model, you might be able to locate a "calibration engineer" (the guys that dock clocks for notorious car dealerships) and get him to change the clock or clock face for a metric one from a scrap yard. On some bikes you can get a metric sticker to cover the dials you might be lucky and get one for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks - I thought it would be easier seeing as kmh are already mapped out on the speedo, and it would just be a matter of 'stretching' the figures a little further. Thanks though, I'll check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Leave it be. Mph speedos already show km/h anyway, and changing it is only going to arouse peoples' suspicions when you want to trade in the car at a later date.

It will also be expensive being a dash in/dash out job, and the cost is probably more than buying an Irish spec car in the first place, which will be worth more come resale time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

SuprSi wrote: »
    If I import a car from the UK, is it possible to get the original mph/kph speedo replaced with a kph one?

Why :) ? ???

I'd look at your car and get suspicious .. is it a jap import etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

+1

I don't see any benefit in doing it and it'll make many, many bells ring in the minds of any potential buyers when you come to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

its only a cardboard facial plate over the clocks. simple job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I did it recently on an bmw I brought in. I bought a km/h speedo from ebay.de and fitted it in place of the mph. Easy job, took about 20mins to remove clocks and swap them over.

The speedo from germany didn't have mph on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭horse7

could you tell me the key words to search for on e bay,and would that work for e bay uk,or e bay .com,or as you say ebay .de:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can search ebay.ie for items located in the european union, which should do the trick. They seem to treat the UK as not in the EU when you do that 0_o

stephen,did you buy a complete kmh speedo,roughly how much.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    could you tell me the key words to search for on e bay,and would that work for e bay uk,or e bay .com,or as you say ebay .de:o

I searched on ebay.de (German ebay) for the speedo. I think it was called tacho. What make of car is it and I'll have a look for ya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

If I was going to bother changing stuff like that, I'd rather slap on a digital speedometer, seems more worth it :)

its a golf 1.9 tdi,ta:D

its a golf 1.9 tdi,ta:D

Try these...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

stephen,did you buy a complete kmh speedo,roughly how much.

No, my speedo is digital so it changes from km to miles at the push of a button :pac:

ta,will check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There's really no good reason to switch the speedo - it will make everyone suspicious when you want to sell it for a start, and if the car is new enough you will invalidate the warranty.

Just put up with it in miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Be aware that some cars won't run if you change the speedo without getting the ECU reset to work with it. This is to stop people changing speedos for ones with lower mileage. You might want to confirm if applies to your Golf before starting the swap.

It won't stop you changing it, but you may need the services of a VAG dealer, or someone else with suitable software, to do the necessary resetting for you.

If you plan on selling the car in the future, you might take a dated photo of the mileage on the MPH speedo just before you take it out, and another same-date photo of the new speedo in place, with the same distance in KM showing (you will be setting the new speedo to the same distance, won't you? ;) )

Advertisement