Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skunks

Options
  • 26-05-2008 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

hi guys ,
    just wondering if any of you have kept skunks as pets before or know of anyone that does keep them in ireland . i know a few people in the uk that have them and seen pictures . they look like lovely pets .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

you dont mean these animals?
    SkPoem.jpg
    nah i wouldnt have them as i have 2 dogs,a staffie and a bulldog and they break wind enough for me,so i woulnldt need a skunk:p

I've smell their calling card, days after they became roadkill.
    I wouldn't wish a skunk on anyone.

heres some info if it helps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_skunk
    http://www.videojug.com/film/skunks-as-pets
    http://www.skunkhaven.net/
    i dont know of any breeders in ireland but i found a uk site.
    http://www.jungletalk.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have pet skunks that are descented - however it will be very hard now to find skunks in the uk (which is where i got my 2) as most vets have said its unethical to descent a skunk - no one would want a skunk that smells!

The breeder I got my guys from is called Seb Miller & his site is www.jungletalk.co.uk

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have pet skunks that are descented - however it will be very hard now to find skunks in the uk (which is where i got my 2) as most vets have said its unethical to descent a skunk - no one would want a skunk that smells!

The breeder I got my guys from is called Seb Miller & his site is www.jungletalk.co.uk
    crikey bond ye seem to have every animal on the planet as for skunks,what do you mean by descented?
    As for the smell is there such thing as removing a gland or some sort by a vet?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

what are they like as pets? i know a guy that imports them from the states and they are descented over there .very hard to breed i believe. i take it bond u have had alot of pets over the years !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You'd want to know your stuff and have a large enclosure for them. Have met Bonds Skunks and they were very sweet, very nosey and very relaxed.

Ok descented means the scent glad has been removed so they can not squirt you with icky stinky smell that would cause you to shave body hair - burn clothes & bath in tomato juice as this helps break down the smell!

Breeding is very hard & very stressful! The ickle babies can scent & make a nasty smell from a few days old! Not fun!

As for pets if you get them young enough they are great 7-8 weeks is the best time to get them! They will bond to their human very easily - sadly my 2 were 16 weeks when I had got them so had bonded together - Rascal gets very stressed if I try to give Taz to his real owner so I had to steal him back (Sorry hun!) I would love to get some more young skunks & would adore a chocolate coloured one :D

Yes I have kept a wide range of rather unusual furry critters in my time! To name a few marmosets, lemmings, duprasi, jirds, nile rats, zebra mice, albertson squirrels, african dwarf dormice etc etc etc as well as birds, reptiles & cats & dogs. Tis a very busy household LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Rascal gets very stressed if I try to give Taz to his real owner so I had to steal him back (Sorry hun!)

*mutter*

Solitary animals they say... Don't like company they say...

*grumble* *mutter*

Love you hun :D LOL

• Advertisement

Bond 007 , what are they like compared to Ferrets . Temperment wise ?

I can only imagine the smell of a skunk as i find a ferrets squirt nausiating .

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Bond 007 , what are they like compared to Ferrets . Temperment wise ?

I can only imagine the smell of a skunk as i find a ferrets squirt nausiating .

They eat an awful lot of veg so you don't get that carnivore smell off the poo but I found that Taz mostly smelled of chilli pepper as it was his favourite :D

Advertisement