Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French exam HL

Options
  • 26-05-2008 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

What are the best abstract topics to learn?

I'm doing

sport
    tobacco/alcohol/drugs
    fashion
    internet
    obesity
    environment

I'm also learning letters, diary phrases and some sentences in the subjonctive. Also I'm going to sprinkle a few little idioms in there too:

don't see eye to eye, sponging off society, have to stand on my own two feet, act in best interests of, don't kid yourself, come what comes, don't judge book by cover.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

armbruster wrote: »

I'm doing

sport
    tobacco/alcohol/drugs
    fashion
    internet
    obesity
    environment

I'm also learning letters, diary phrases and some sentences in the subjonctive. Also I'm going to sprinkle a few little idioms in there too:

don't see eye to eye, sponging off society, have to stand on my own two feet, act in best interests of, don't kid yourself, come what comes, don't judge book by cover.

Could you please give me those phrases, please?

I'm doing five/those six. I'm leaving out fashion. Your list looks comprehensive enough.

armbruster wrote: »

I'm doing

sport
    tobacco/alcohol/drugs
    fashion
    internet
    obesity
    environment

Don't bother with smoking,alcohol,drugs or sport.
    Those topics are far too basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

AIDS!!! les sida.....i think that's gonna be big this year:)

Bien qu'elle/s soit/soient - even though she/they are
    only subjunctive I have and by god it's going in
    Don't forget Appellons un chat un chat:)
    (that's let's call a spade a spade except french)

Ya.. Le sida, l'avortement, le terrorisme, L'informatique, L'effet de serre .. blah blah blah!

Il faut que je sois honnête = subjonctif

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Why is everyone predicting aids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

We never even covered the topic of aids. My french teacher didn't say anything about it.

Learning off some idioms, subjunctive stuff, revising tenses and vocab myself.
    Probably going to revise vocab for;
    Health
    School
    Media
    Environment

errr, think that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I'm doing Health (tobacco/alcohol/drugs) Technology (Internet) Sport (Olympics) also ties in with Obesity and the Enviornment.

Bitta work on letters etc. I'm sorted for the aurals. Same here for not covering aids in class, first I've even heard being tipped to come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

I've been hearing a lot about Le Dopage(doping in sport)coming up. Something regarding sport has come up every year so I'm hoping for that or the olympics in China. The environment hasn't come up yet so that is definitely a front runner! Maybe la cocaine as well, it was pretty topical around the time the exams were being set.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My biggest problem is solving exatley what the question is asking. I have a fairly strong grasp of the language but there is always a word in the answer that i dont know and sometimes its quite important. Par example:

In the mocks the question was "Has Ireland's new influx in revenue led to increased alcoholism?" And i just noticed Ireland... alcoolisme and started wrighting. I ended up getting i think 4/25.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

Ekels wrote: »
    Could you please give me those phrases, please?

I'm doing five/those six. I'm leaving out fashion. Your list looks comprehensive enough.

ne pas voir les choses du meme oeil (eye to eye)

vivre au crochets de la societe (sponge off society)

voler de ses propres ailes (stand on your own two feet)

agir au mieux des interets de

se bercer d'illusions

quoi qu'il arrive

l'habit ne fait pas le moine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Don't bother with smoking,alcohol,drugs or sport.
    Those topics are far too basic.

Olympics... SERIOUS POSSIBILITY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Anyone Know Any French Revision Sites?

So Screwed Over Here..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rich89

youd be silly to leave out the addictions because you can integrate them somewhere in most essays, that and unemployment

Advertisement