Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation in Strandhill

Options
  • 25-05-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend somewhere good to stay in strandhill? I love heading there but it is let down by its lack of accomodation, are there any houses to rent for a weekend? We usually have about 15-20 lads and lassies heading down. Lahinch is great for this sort of thing but i prefer strandhill and accomodation is the only problem., thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Strandhill is basically a suburb of sligo unlike lahinch which is almost entirely a holiday village. I don't think strandhill aims to attract big gangs of surfers the same way lahinch does and i don't think most of the locals (bar the Byrnes who own most of the commercial ventures) would want it. You would find it easier to get something in sligo town and it's only 4 miles out to strandhill, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

promethius wrote: »
    Strandhill is basically a suburb of sligo unlike lahinch which is almost entirely a holiday village. I don't think strandhill aims to attract big gangs of surfers the same way lahinch does and i don't think most of the locals (bar the Byrnes who own most of the commercial ventures) would want it. You would find it easier to get something in sligo town and it's only 4 miles out to strandhill, best of luck.
    Theres a hostel, but be careful they tend to overcharge and not give good group discounts, so check your change.
    Theres also a stack of b&bs that you could split your group up between for about a tenner a night each more than the hostel. (goldenpages.ie will tell you this).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Dunnes have accommodation, I had my stag in Strandhill, my brother organised an apartment set up with a load of bedrooms with bunks. Sounds exactly like what you are looking for. I think Tom Hickey organised it for him.

http://www.accommodationstrandhill.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

i dont know about the apartments in the dunes but we stayed in their b + b before, what a dump, and the owner came off as a bit rude, dont think i will chance it again.

The only other thing I can think of is camping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Last time I booked accomodation down there it was in Castlebaldwin, about 45 mins from Strandhill. A place called Gyreum. Up in the mountains. A self catering ecological pyramidal structure designed for and by hippies doing new age walks through the North west. I thought it was cute but its not everyones cup of herbal tea :D

cue wrote: »
    but its not everyones cup of herbal tea :D

badoom.

Sounds nice actually.

OP, you might get a good deal in the Glass house, I'm talking about 50Euro per person sharing? I don't know if that's any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

All good stuff guys but ideally we would like somewhere we could walk back from the pubs in strandhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

Theres a hostel across the road from the 2 pubs but its not that great.
    its a pity theres not more places to stay, could be a good thing to set up!

it'll be camping for me over there this weekend, hope its not freezing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Freckleina

it'll be camping for me over there this weekend, hope its not freezing :D[/QUOTE]

Do you think the campsite will get busy there this weekend? Planning on heading down early Saturday afternoon, so hoping the sites wont be gone by then...!

Re other accomodation for groups, in the past we've stayed in the student accomodation in the town and it worked out fine. Taxi's from Strandhill at night cost nothing. We just got the number of one of the cars, and he collected us when we wanted to go home. Perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 trevize

The Dunes is crap.
    The Hostel is crap.
    The campsite is crap.
    Best bet is to try an overpriced B&B.

Strandhill is useless for accommodation, best to stay somewhere else :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rathcarrick

Do not sign up simply to advertise your flat, thanks. - c - 13

Advertisement