Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unit & Maps for Croatia

Options
  • 25-05-2008 7:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Going to Croatia on my honeymoon in August, renting a car to see as many World Heritage sites as we can, so it's time to source a GPS unit. I get the impression that Garmin Nuvi's are the way to go, would I be right in that?

I'm guessing a slightly above mid-range all-rounder would be best for me, as a newbie, but I'm not sure what that would be as the prices seem to vary quite a bit. 600/700 models maybe?

Good Irish maps would be a bonus if possible.

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looking at the Garmin CN Europe NT 2008 coverage it only seems to be halfway decent for the immediate area around Zagreb and the bigger places along the Adriatic coast. Most of the rest of the country seems to be main roads only. Some of the surrounding countries (Slovenia, Hungary) seem much better but other Balkan states (Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc.) are main roads only.

You should be able to check on the coverage on the Garmin website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hmmm. Are the maps on any of the other devices any better I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could get an idea of the level of detail for TeleAtlas maps by looking at Google Maps, although sometimes the maps on there seem to be better then the equivalent TeleAtlas maps on GPS units that use them such as TomTom. At first sight the maps on Google Maps do seem to be better than the Navteq supplied ones on the Garmin, but it'd be better to see if anyone with a TomTom and European maps can confirm that they're of the same level of detail on the actual unit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks Alun. Anyone with European maps on a TomTom?

How about the units on the non-mapping front?

Thanks,
    adam

Advertisement