Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio in Ireland during WW2

Options
  • 25-05-2008 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a bit of history with my 6th class this week on Ireland during the second world war.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some radio clips from Ireland from that era?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

There is a site out there that hosts opening clips, or callsigns of a load of radio stations from all over the world and throughout history .I came across it a few weeks back but caa't rmember the address...search around for "interval sounds" and you'll fine it.

The site had a recording of the opening(not the first opening but the opening of a certain programme) of Radio Eireann during WW2 with a DJ saying "This is Ireland calling..."

Fascinating stuff if you can find it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Found the station: www.intervalsignals.net

Find Ireland in the menu on the left, then click on Radio Teilifis Eireann and then click "Radio Eireann (vintage - 1940)".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Wow that's a real blast from the past! My mother was a small child in 1940 and it was fantastic to hear the sounds from the day. I listened to the 1966 clip as I was only four then and it sounded a lot like 1940!

Advertisement