Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

king charles spaniel coughing

Options
  • 24-05-2008 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

We have a 9 yr old spaniel, and recently has been making pretty bad coughs, is this heart disease?

looks like the end is nigh pretty soon unfortunately, we have had him a long time. he is pretty active at day but at night just slouches around the kitchen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Your vet is the one who will be able to tell you with certainty.

Even if it is heart disease it mustn't necessarily be fatal. In some cases a daily little pill can ensure more happy years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Why hasn't the dog seen a vet to find out what the problem is, heart problems can be treated. Or it could be a respiratory problem. Although king charles can suffer from heart problems etc 9 years isn't necissarily that old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

At nine years old it probably is a heart issue unfortunately. But like another poster said, this can be managed to a large extent with drugs and diuretics to prevent pulmonary oedema. The best thing you can do is get him to a vet pronto, these conditions can be easily diagnosed through radiography so a quick x-ray will tell the vet what they need to know. The most important thing you can do right now is make sure the dog is kept quiet and calm over the weekend, absolutely no exertion out in the sun, as the symptoms are likely to worsen. Keep him in a cool room where he can relax and not get stressed until the vet visit. On a lighter note, if he is only starting to show symptoms now, thats fairly good going for a Cavalier, heart disease usually rears its ugly head at 6 or 7, often younger. Weight control is also essential for these guys with inadequate heart function, the vet will advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

he is pretty active at day but at night just slouches around the kitchen.

This sounds like my old King Charles, spent many many years lounging around the kitchen afaid she'd miss a crumb :)... so I wouldnt see it as the end!

A trip to the vet would be the best thing, will at least put your mind at ease. My KC was a regular at the vet in her old age but a few pills everyday had her like a new dog in the last few years, and she was 12 before it got the better of her last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

thanks for the replys lads

I think our dog is more like 11 yrs old actually...:pac:

during the day he is as happy as larry, at night he gets some coughing fits. I will take him to the vet, I dont think he has seen a vet much, just with problems with his paws.

He does seem to want to eat all the time, chocolate wrappers and the noise of opening up bars he can hear a mile away. I have cut out his chocolate intake thou....:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement