Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to renting

Options
  • 24-05-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

can i ask something. I am renting out a room. person asked for keys for monday to move belongings in. However, will not be able to move in from the 31st.

Should I be charging them from when they get the keys and take first money off them monday week?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,327 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Strictly speaking they have to pay from the first moment they use the property.

Practically, strike a balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

We had something kind of similar when our new flat mate moved in. The room was empty from the 17th of the month and we wanted someone to move in for 1st of the following month. The girl we picked was happy to move in on the 1st but asked if she could drop some stuff over before then because of her working hours. We were happy to hand over the keys the week before the 1st and she gave us the deposit. She started paying rent from the 1st which was when she stayed the night for the first time.

I'd do the same in your case. If the person won't be actually staying in the apartment until the start of next month but is definitely moving in then you should let them move some stuff in. Just make sure you get the deposit first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi lads. Ye I got the deposit alright. But if there moving things in on monday but not staying till the following monday is that not kinda of a storage moving in fee should be included. Or will I just take the 1st weeks rent the day they move in.? I dont know if im loosing out on a week or what. thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭adam.number2

Sounds like you are looking for opinions... im opinion is if you make them pay a weeks rent for storing their things, you are being a little greedy. Just an opinion.

lol its not an opinion im looking for. i want to hear from people in the same boat or have been.

I take it from your reply your renting yourself.
    If you had a home and people stored things in it for nothing what would your OPINION be then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've been renting 17 years now..It always started from when I got the keys.

No keys means no full usage of the gaff.

That said I've always got them as soon as the lease as signed and thats often meant having to have overlapping periods between one place and another.
    The way I view it is the moment I agree to lease the place the landlord cannot charge anyone else for it so I have to cough up, doesnt seem fair otherwise.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LadyGodiva

I dont agree with storage fee comment, yes thats greedy. I own my own home and rent two rooms out, each time tenants wanted to store some stuff before they fully moved in. I would never charge for that, for Gods sake cut them some slack, not a good way to start a relationship !!!:)

Hi ya lady. Ye I know what you mean but should i collect from the first day they move in and weekly from there on in or a week after there first night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

My opinion would be to start charging them from the day the start staying in the house. If the room is empty let them move in their stuff early, it doesn't inconvenience you at all.

Charging for it is just being greedy and wont exactly be a good start to your landlord - tenant relationship, which would be in your best interests to keep on good terms.

very true. thanks lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement