Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Memory Help Needed

Options
  • 24-05-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Getting regular messages telling me my computer is low on virtual memory etc and computer is crawling along.

It is old: spec is Intel Celeron 2.66ghz 256 MB RAM and Windows XP 2002 Version.

How can I sort this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Buy more ram or use 1 application at a time(i.e. buy more ram).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭The Istanbul

What should I be asking for?

Is there a particular slot within PC where I install this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Your best bet is probably to buy more ram as Sherifu said but you could also try a few of these things:

Check if you have any unnecessary startup programs and check if you are running any memory intensive crap like Mcaffe antivirus. Go to Start-Run and type msconfig. Go to the startup tab and untick everything you don't need (Generally you just need Antivirus,maybe firewall and any other things you like to have running)

I would recommend you to download and run ccleaner from here -- http://www.ccleaner.com/

That will clean out a load of temporary files and other crap that slows down your pc.

Finally you can actually increase your vitual memory if you like, Go to Control panel-system-Advanced Tab-Settings (under performace) - advanced tab. the option is down the bottom. Chances are this won't help anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What should I be asking for?

Is there a particular slot within PC where I install this?
    Yes, the motherboard has slots for the ram. It's cheap. Get at least 512 to 1 gig.

The steps Redisle suggest are good too. But i'd say they're only temporary relief. 256 will get abused by todays apps. :firefox:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭The Istanbul

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement