Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name the song - please help

Options
  • 24-05-2008 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

It has the line "down the currach road" I think. Can anyone tell me the name of the song/singer. It was a man singing.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

http://www.justsomelyrics.com/1712090/Christy-Moore-Me-and-the-Rose-Lyrics

Try Google. If that's not the song you're looking for you might need to give more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Andy McShakti

Is it "The Curra Road" by Ger Wolfe?

You can hear it here..

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=279229200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I think the song is called "Matty" by Christy Moore You'll get the words in his songbook at any rate. It refers to the Curragh Line and I know the Headford road in Galway city is know by the locals as the Curragh Line.

Galway balladeer, Sean Tyrell also does a version of the song.

The title of the song is "drops of brandy" in the Christy Moore version.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Excellent guesses there lads!

I thought it may have been Carolina Rua there for a bit, since there's a line in the song that could sound like what Aldini98 said. Obviously Mary Black is a woman and I'm not sure what males singers have sung that song.

Matty sounds like a good guess to me. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Drops of Brandy' doolox, Christy's always referred to it as 'Matty'. Heeeere's Matty!

• Advertisement

...due to the words appearing in the last verse of the song.
    "At the wake they were laying down the Drops of Brandy the old fashioned habit, they were laying down the pounds and fivers so Matty would be fine in the bye and bye"....

I don't know but it probably is a reference to the Irish habits of drinking and buying Masscards at the death of a friend or relative.

The song evokes strange emotions in me because I knew a lot of single batchelors like Mattie who ended their days hooked on the drink and ending it all in mysterious circumstances on their way home from the pub.

When I lived in the West of Ireland this mode of life appeared perfectly normal to my eyes.

Advertisement