Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan talks tough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Well Centurion...what news of Rome? :D

Hmmm...RegTel never mattered and it's best to have it under Comreg following the communications bill 2007.

What is of far more interest to me is

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single11108

and

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=MARKETS-qqqs=themarket-qqqid=33089-qqqx=1.asp

In fairness - you cant go at it like a bull in a China shop - it does take time....still I remain NOT optimistic until I see what actual results it yields for the people of Ireland...because that is really all that matters at the end of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote: »

WRT to issue #1 funding of eircom. The arguments thus far have not convinced me that this is the right decision.
    I see no company of any real substance who is willing to invest any real money or effort in a nationwide fibre roll out.
    Therefore this decision is flawed in my opinion.

"“We are going to be investing in competition." A nice sentiment and perhaps a nice payday for smaller telcos but the "smaller" telcos won't be rolling out FTTH any day soon.

Now if he had said "here's a pot of cash" and we'll give it to somebody who will roll out FTTH then it would be a sensible decision. There is no "pot of cash" as seemingly the cupboard is bare. So essentially nothing will happen and more and more people will be stuck in 2Mbs land.

I see this as keeping us in the dark ages for a long time to come.

As fibre won't be coming near most smaller and rural towns, then the simplest way of guaranteeing service to irish consumers based on current copper is to lay down simple unequivocal standards and enforce those standards.
    Now that *would* be sensible.
    Of course if Comreg had mandated open ducting throughout the country then the issue would be easier for alternative tecos to address but that won't be done anytime soon either.

Of course I am open to discussion and persuasion on the issue...

I cannot see the point of #2 as it really does nothing for consumers.
    In reality the line rental should be reduced to somewhere nearer the European average and not more of this bureaucratic tinkering.

"Reducing line faults" is more meaningless babble if we have no independent way of measuring and quantifying "line faults".

Ryan fiddles an Rome burns....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bealtine wrote: »

I see this as keeping us in the dark ages for a long time to come.

Speaking of "dark ages"...
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single%2011085

Advertisement