Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Antenna

Options
  • 24-05-2008 1:00pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A mate lives in London were they have wifi max about 300m away.

He cant pick it up with is laptop/computer wifi cards.

Can you buy some like thats on this page and use that to bost the signal so that he cause access the wifi?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kearnsr wrote: »
    A mate lives in London were they have wifi max about 300m away.

Do you mean Wifi or Wimax?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Spear wrote: »
    Do you mean Wifi or Wimax?

I always called it wifimax but its a scheme run by Islington Council and its an area wide internet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I always called it wifimax but its a scheme run by Islington Council and its an area wide internet

Hmm, reading the articles about it, and it keeps referring to Wifi at least, rather than Wimax.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Spear wrote: »
    Hmm, reading the articles about it, and it keeps referring to Wifi at least, rather than Wimax.

I assumed it was wifmax as my mate wasnt sure.

He's just looking to buy something that would help him connect to what ever it is

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from comp & tech.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can he not contact the Council and ask them exactly what he needs?

dub45 wrote: »
    Can he not contact the Council and ask them exactly what he needs?

dunno. he just asked me to check it out

This is what I was looking for Hawking 12 dBi Hi-Gain Wi-Fi Directional Window Antenna

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

According to their website it's simply a high powered wifi AP.

If that is the case then you my need something that can take an external antenna in order to cover the 300m you mention. The one you linked to might work but there are plenty of home made jobbies about the net. I'd be reluctant to throw too much money at this, 300m is a huge distance to cover for a normal laptop or PC type wireless card regardless of antenna arrangement.

D-Link PCI card
    is one example of a high powered card but there are others around but 300m is still a long way to reach.

ZEN

Advertisement