Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd pair of pets

Options
  • 24-05-2008 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

If one was to raise an Alsation and a Dwarf rabbit together would there be any forseeable problems in terms of aggression towards each other, in other words would the Alsation attack the rabbitt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Some dogs and rabbits get on fine but you'd want to be very careful about introducing them and keep them separate when you're not around to supervise. I'm generalising here a lot :) You stand a better chance of them getting on if raised together from young but you do have to remember that the instinct to chase prey is in most dogs. On the bright side - the dog is a pastoral breed and not a terrier. You'd have little to no chance with a terrier :D

I have three dogs but I'd only trust one of them with the rabbits when my back is turned. All three were raised with rabbits and know well that they're pets but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

hadook wrote: »
    Some dogs and rabbits get on fine but you'd want to be very careful about introducing them and keep them separate when you're not around to supervise. I'm generalising here a lot :) You stand a better chance of them getting on if raised together from young but you do have to remember that the instinct to chase prey is in most dogs. On the bright side - the dog is a pastoral breed and not a terrier. You'd have little to no chance with a terrier :D

I have three dogs but I'd only trust one of them with the rabbits when my back is turned. All three were raised with rabbits and know well that they're pets but still.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I had a rabbit that used to attack the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Rule of thumb, never leave a cat or dog unsupervised with a rabbit no matter how well they get on. That's a large sized heavy dog so even if the dog is playing he/she could accidently injure the rabbit. Not saying dogs and rabbits can't get on but always be cautious, rabbits also should really be kept in pairs. They also must be spayed or neutered at 6 months of age, this will help avoid aggressive behaviour (rabbit can become aggressive towards you or the dog) and also does have a high risk of reproductive cancers so spaying obviously helps in that department.

No reason why you can't get the two but you would have to ensure the rabbit had it's own safe area and that when you are out they are not left in the same room.

I agree with the above posts and especially what guineapig rescue says .Also a rabbit is a prey animal and dogs are hunters so never leave them unsupervised as instict on the dogs part will probably kick in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I learned the hard way. My dog and rabbits lived very well together, then we got a new dog German Shepherd. He was only a pup but due to his size and playful nature, he managed to kill my best boy :(

It happened in seconds as i had looked out and seen the rabbits in the hutch, i even had it tied with rope as the dogs had opened it previously and a couple of minutes later my rabbit was lying on the grass filthy :(

There were no puncture wounds on my rabbit - it was pure shock. I rushed him to the vet but it was too late. :(

Everyone said the pup didnt do it out of wickedness and i never really believed he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's the thing with prey animals as well they live on their nerves.
    I have 2 dogs and 2 guineapigs and have had rabbits, my pigs are housed indoors and have a secure run..still waiting for the weather to settle before they can go out during the day.
    The run is large so they have lots of space (same was for the rabbits in their own run) but my dogs are never kept in the same area inside or outside the house unless I am right there. Although the run is very sturdy as is their cage I wouldn't trust my collie one bit. She's a pastoral breed but she gets a bit too interested in them and stares at them the same way she would do a piece of steak lol.

My gsds are the same .That stare and i swear they are dreaming of steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Morganna wrote: »
    I had a rabbit that used to attack the dogs

LOL, I have visions of the 'Killer Rabbit' in Monty Pythons 'The Holy Grail'!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

ncmc wrote: »
    LOL, I have visions of the 'Killer Rabbit' in Monty Pythons 'The Holy Grail'!

We had a French lop called Elmira and she had the cats (and dogs) terrorised. She had a day nest under the bed and it consisted of two towels and a liberal amount of cat fur pulled from any cat stupid enough to stay on the ground when she was out.

A friend once brought their pom and wolfhound down for a visit. We left the pom in the house (the wolfhound was outside playing with our dane - we didn't want any accidental trampling) and after about 5 minutes we heard him screaming. Elmira had cornered him and was attacking him while he piddled on the floor in abject terror. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement