Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11days...study?

Options
  • 24-05-2008 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering, 11days now till the leaving....what study methods are ye doing?

Are you concentrating on one subject a day or are ye breaking it up??

also..

How many hours a day are ye doing??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

One subject a day would drive me mad. So far this morning I've done maths and Irish, I'll try to do study on all 8 of my subjects but I probably wont get that many done. If you do one subject for too long you get bored/go a little mad I find (though I can do maths for quite a while before that happens), so I like to mix it around to keep myself interested. Some things of course require more work than others. (We've been finished the physics course for so long I feel like there's nothing left to revise...)

Of course as it gets closer to the yoke I'll start concentrating on the subjects in the first week, which is.. Maths and English iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I do the 4 subjects I need to study.Irish Paper 2,English Paper 2,History and Business.I do ordinary level Maths so I'm grand in that,cos its so easy,then no study needs to be donew for English and Irish Paper 1 and I've got a day off before German and 3 days off before Accounting.

If I get an hour done today I'll be happy.I've done about 2/3 hours most days last week.

It may not seem a lot but I only need 400 points and I've got a good memory so the bits of studying that I've done for pre-exams,Christmas exams and any tests we did is mostly still in my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bohs1890

I only started studying on Monday and doing 2 a day... i think im grand.. bout3-5 hrs a day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

god this study thing... i did 3 hours this morning & an hour after lunch. then decided to go for a walk, you know how it is, meaning to do some after bt somehow not quite getting round to it
    i have however set out a realy harsh study timetable for the next 10 days or so, with about 6 subjects per day, 1-2 hours per subject
    mainly working 9-1, 3-5 and 6-7, that sort of thing.
    my friends are freaking me out, one of them works 9am - 9pm!!!! with like 2 hourlong breaks or something... people go realy crazy. i know its the time to cram and everything bt the way i see it, its better not to tire yourself too much & if you can't focus leave it, do something else and come back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I dunno how you can all do 3-5 hours a day, and I wish I could too, but over the years no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't do that kind of study, trying all those "guides to better study" and timetables and stuff never did anything for me. Maybe I'm lazy ! Or maybe that kind of study isn't for me ! I'll try study the stuff I'm worried about to some extent, but I know it won't be 5 hours a day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

i did about 2 hours a day on average the last week. i did like and hour and a half yesterday and an hour today. next week though I'm gonna pick up the pace.

When youse all start study??...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

I'm sort of doing random questions from papers, two subjects a day or so...depends on the subject really. I have it in my head that a lot of complete cramming awaits me, so until maybe Wednesday next week I'm doing out questions to get checked by mùinteoirs before I go learning them off...particularly in Geo, English & Irish. History remains scary...love the subject, but Christ, the exam is terrifying.
    French and Maths are both wrongly being ignored...as is Bio to a point.
    I dunno, I'm not worrying about it too much. I'm doing work like, but it's not worth getting upset over. Do what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm a bit all over the place in regards to a study plan, but all the same I seem to be getting the job done.

For example I went over all of the elective 5 in geography this morning as well as theme and issue and literary genre in english with a bit of eaven boland in there as well.

I've kinda given up now.

Like today..I've done nothing.

I've been watching Scrubs all day.. now im waiting for The Hills to come on.

But, ah.. I'm past caring. I'm far to relaxed for my own good..

But.. like i've been consistent.. we'll say.. up until like last week.. i'd have been doing.. 5-6 hours a night.. something like that.

• Advertisement

I've kinda given up now.

Like today..I've done nothing.

I've been watching Scrubs all day.. now im waiting for The Hills to come on.

But, ah.. I'm past caring. I'm far to relaxed for my own good..

But.. like i've been consistent.. we'll say.. up until like last week.. i'd have been doing.. 5-6 hours a night.. something like that.
    Well don;t give up, your almost there, anyway you said you have already fone 5-6hours a night so you must have almost everything studied so its not that bad.
    I know how you feel though, just want it out of the way at this stage and don't care, its getting harder and harder for me to stay motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

starting tomoro, 6 hours a day, 3 subjects a day.

I better get 400

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I wouldn't recommend the subject-a-day. Just write out your 7 subjects, name certain topics that must be covered and draw out a day-by-day timetable.
    E.g
    French: Aural/ Grammar/ Diary Entries
    And then implement these into your plan. E.g. Tues. 27th 2:00-2:30 Diary Entries

Ekels wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the subject-a-day. Just write out your 7 subjects, name certain topics that must be covered and draw out a day-by-day timetable.
    E.g
    French: Aural/ Grammar/ Diary Entries
    And then implement these into your plan. E.g. Tues. 27th 2:00-2:30 Diary Entries

ahh.. why do people insist on doing study plans?!!!

You know, by doing so you are wasting precious study time.

ahh.. why do people insist on doing study plans?!!!

You know, by doing so you are wasting precious study time.
    I agree, I could never follow them, but maybe they work for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Study plans are the best way to ensure you get the most out of a study session imo plus you can make sure you dont leave anything important out.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Study plans are the best way to ensure you get the most out of a study session imo plus you can make sure you dont leave anything important out.

+1
    Not having a study plan is like walking blind-folded. You don't know what you're going to hit and what you're going to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Alrite today is my first day studyin in about a month, I duno I just cant get my head around it, the only subject I know how to study is Maths, everything else I just find Im reading and not learning anything!!
    I think my brain has just gone offically dead from not doing anything in so long!!
    Im fooked!!ha!
    Thank god I couldnt care less about points but id still like to prove to myself that I can get around 300 points!
    I duno, I'll just have to see in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

O.L.Maths:Just a case of doing papers and learning formulas.I've done every paper to date..so that's something
    O.L. French:'Night before' is all that is needed
    O.L. Irish:Same as above
    H.L. English:Work on poets first and foremost:(,then 'Othello':( and finally on comparative study.
    H.L History:Just study most important areas!
    H.L. Business:Just study:(:eek:
    H.L. Art History and Appreciation:Night before because I was always bad at it.Simply short note main areas and learn off night before!

I've been beating myself up about study as I haven't kicked into 100% but I recently realised that I find it much easier to start studying coming up to exams..I'm not one of those people who started studying back in March!I feel if I had started back then,I wold have forgotten most of it by now,and would subsequently be starting from scratch again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ekels wrote: »
    +1
    Not having a study plan is like walking blind-folded. You don't know what you're going to hit and what you're going to miss.
    True that.

I made a study plan last night for all this week, as I'll be in school for 9 "classes" of study a day. Major help. If I didn't have it and didn't know what exactly I was meant to be doing when, I'd end up wasting time trying to decide, or end up dossing.
    It's much easier to stay focused if you've got simple tasks to do (ie, "make summaries on the high renaissance") or whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 delighted.

I'm dreadful, it hasn't hit me yet that the exams are so soon. I need that pressure feeling. Wish I didn't get 150 more points in the pres than I actually need. Makes me laze about all day, everyday :(

delighted. wrote: »
    I'm dreadful, it hasn't hit me yet that the exams are so soon. I need that pressure feeling. Wish I didn't get 150 more points in the pres than I actually need. Makes me laze about all day, everyday :(
    lmao you'll excuse me if I have a hard time feeling sorry for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

TBH I spent 2 weeks studying for the leaving (8 years ago now :eek:). What I did was quite simple, study my weak subjects first and then concentrated on the other subjects closer to the exam date e.g English two days before the exam. That way the material was fresh in my head. Mind you I got lucky for said exam, had one poem revised and it came up. That being said I didn't get a mighty LC but enough (370 points). Anyhow, doesn't really matter in the grand scale of things... It's what you do after it that counts ;)

eroo wrote: »
    O.L.Maths:Just a case of doing papers and learning formulas.I've done every paper to date..so that's something
    O.L. French:'Night before' is all that is needed
    O.L. Irish:Same as above
    H.L. English:Work on poets first and foremost:(,then 'Othello':( and finally on comparative study.
    H.L History:Just study most important areas!
    H.L. Business:Just study:(:eek:
    H.L. Art History and Appreciation:Night before because I was always bad at it.Simply short note main areas and learn off night before!

I've been beating myself up about study as I haven't kicked into 100% but I recently realised that I find it much easier to start studying coming up to exams..I'm not one of those people who started studying back in March!I feel if I had started back then,I wold have forgotten most of it by now,and would subsequently be starting from scratch again!

same here, but irish a day before...no chance ya have to study the poets/stories a bit in fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jaymacgray

melboix wrote: »
    I'm sort of doing random questions from papers, two subjects a day or so...depends on the subject really. I have it in my head that a lot of complete cramming awaits me, so until maybe Wednesday next week I'm doing out questions to get checked by mùinteoirs before I go learning them off...particularly in Geo, English & Irish. History remains scary...love the subject, but Christ, the exam is terrifying.
    I dunno, I'm not worrying about it too much. I'm doing work like, but it's not worth getting upset over. Do what you need to do.[/quote

History is really scary, my favourite subject like in class tests and stuff I always get A1s but in the mocks I realised just how bad the exam is, I had to absolutely race through my 3 essays and that left me with 10 minutes to do the whole document. So my document short essay was fairly brief. Do you have any ideas how to get the exam done quicker? I'd need at least 4 or 5 hours to get it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Im terrible with organising, I spent a while to day looking at maths marking schemes, exam papers and my book at once fguring out what questions come up and how I do them. Currently my friend Aural cd is playing and Im gonna read my english revision book I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

jaymacgray wrote: »
    melboix wrote: »
    I dunno, I'm not worrying about it too much. I'm doing work like, but it's not worth getting upset over. Do what you need to do.[/quote

History is really scary, my favourite subject like in class tests and stuff I always get A1s but in the mocks I realised just how bad the exam is, I had to absolutely race through my 3 essays and that left me with 10 minutes to do the whole document. So my document short essay was fairly brief. Do you have any ideas how to get the exam done quicker? I'd need at least 4 or 5 hours to get it properly.

Documents question this is what your timing should be
    Documents question
    5 mins to read questions and documents
    5 mins each for comprehension criticism and comparing
    15 mins for contextualisation...This is marked out of 40.A short intro 3 paragraphs each a half a page around and a short conclusion.24 marks for all the paragraphs and then an overall 16 for da whole ting

Essay1 5 mins making a plan(very important to get the a1)
    35 mins writing 7/8 paragraphs averaging about half a page each..total 4 pages.If you get between 7-9 for each paragraph ul get the 60 out of 60.Just stick to the question and make references to it in each paragraph where appropriate.Also keep within the dates excluding the intro and the conclusion.The conclusion need more then a mere summary.Its needs to include some new information such as what happened after,an evaluation of the person,thing,event whatever ..maybe a historians view with an interesting(made up) quote.This will impress. You should get a least 30 marks heres out of 40 provided you do the above

Do the same for the other 2 essays and then that leaves 15 mins at the end to go over your work and add in stuff/make alterations

S

Advertisement