Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record players

Options
  • 24-05-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so let me know if you think it would be better off somewhere else...

I'm looking for advice on buying a vintage record player (something that looks cool. Prob from around the 60s or 70s). It's not for me and I don't actually know much about this kind of thing. Does anyone know where's a good place to look? I would also like to know what are good models/brands.

I've been looking on eBay and found this one. I'm not sure if that's a gem or it it's a rip off!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

that's a genuine Dansette alright but.......
    1. they were pretty awful, particularly as people are used to CDs now.
    2. where will you get a replacement stylus? Safe to assume the one in it is knackered.
    3. that's insane money (+ P&P) - visit a few Car Boot sales, junk shops, charity shops... you'd get one for €10 - €30 easy enough, in time.

actually I see now it's fitted with a new stylus.... still though. Mad money.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Thanks Slaphead. It's a present for the gf so I don't mind spending a bit of cash, if it's worth it...
    But that one does seem expensive. Found this other one that's more reasonably priced, not sure if they ship to Ireland though.

The thing is I want one that's in good working order and looks good. Not sure if I'll get that if I go to a car boot sale. Does anyone know of any shops that sell this kind of thing (preferably in Dublin!)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Getting an actual unit from the 60's or 70's could be problematic as these things werent exactly made to last in the first place.

However they are currently having a bit of a comeback and can be had new , and peats do a range of them , they come decked out in a sort of retro style , there are some nice enough designs on offer. Just like the originals though , they dont sound great !

Ive seen them priced anything from 50 euro up to 150.

Advertisement