Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help..Dry skin!

Options
  • 24-05-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have dry skin on my face (only)for the past few years, partly to do with my heating system where I work (cant be changed), the weather etc, but for the past few months it's now flaky as heck, and as soon as I put foundation on it is a disaster...If I say what products Im using maybe ye could suggest a change?! This morning when I woke up it was the worst yet:(

I used Oil of Olay twice a few months back and that seemed to kick it off..dried my skin no end..so I switched to a Roc enydrial product recommended by my pharamacist..but Ive since switched to the stronger creme emollient for 'very dry and atopic skin'...no difference noticed yet...I put on some Aloe Vera too to calm it..no good, more dryness..

Make up wise, I'm using Mac Studio Fix fluid, well it only flakes on to be honest. I've been thinking of changing..could that offer a remedy?

Please help, I feel I'm flaking away..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ruthy85

You poor thing!! There's nothing worse....Moisturisers are always hit and miss....what works for one person can be a disaster for another....I have a few suggestion for you. Firstly (this may sound a little strange) Put a cupful of oats/porridge in the end of a stocking and soak in warm water for 3 seconds, wet your face with lukewarm water and rub the stocking over your face for 1-2 minutes...Pat dry and immediately after moisten your face with a facial serum such as suki http://www.sukipure.com/product.php?product_id=18 try and do this every night for a couple of weeks to see if it works for you. Use a cream cleanser for dry skin in the morning (such as dermologica) then Moisturise with pure vitamin E cream (available from health care shops) also maybe you should try using a primer before butting your make-up on, I use Elizabeth Arden’s 'good morning skin serum' from Debenhams...followed by Elizabeth Arden liquid foundation. I’ve used Mac in the past and found it very thick and drying. Try not to use a powder as it sucks the moisture out of you face and use a liquid blush and eye shadow. I hope that helps in some way :) Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Hi folks,
    I have dry skin on my face (only)for the past few years, partly to do with my heating system where I work (cant be changed), the weather etc, but for the past few months it's now flaky as heck, and as soon as I put foundation on it is a disaster...If I say what products Im using maybe ye could suggest a change?! This morning when I woke up it was the worst yet:(

I used Oil of Olay twice a few months back and that seemed to kick it off..dried my skin no end..so I switched to a Roc enydrial product recommended by my pharamacist..but Ive since switched to the stronger creme emollient for 'very dry and atopic skin'...no difference noticed yet...I put on some Aloe Vera too to calm it..no good, more dryness..

Make up wise, I'm using Mac Studio Fix fluid, well it only flakes on to be honest. I've been thinking of changing..could that offer a remedy?

Please help, I feel I'm flaking away..

Your better off treating your skin from the inside rather than the outside. U should aim for 2 litres of water a day and something like flax seed oil or udos oil both available from health food shops. I personally use the udos oil and the only time i get dry skin now is when i stop using it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks Ruthy85! I use Dermalogica wash but found the mosturizer too dry..as for drinking water Zorba, I'm known in my circle of friends to always have a big bottle of water on me at all times! I chug the stuff back day and night to hydrate myself, esp cos of my work conditions and dont drink or smoke..so I dunno what Im doing wrong! but thanks, Im might up the dosage and try that Udo's oil...can you take capsules or does it have be be diluted?

Thanks Ruthy85! I use Dermalogica wash but found the mosturizer too dry..as for drinking water Zorba, I'm known in my circle of friends to always have a big bottle of water on me at all times! I chug the stuff back day and night to hydrate myself, esp cos of my work conditions and dont drink or smoke..so I dunno what Im doing wrong! but thanks, Im might up the dosage and try that Udo's oil...can you take capsules or does it have be be diluted?

U can get it in capsules but i think the oil is better but not everyone likes the taste of it, i don't mind it so much it's grand once u get used to the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

i was suffering from the same thing and no amount of moisturiser was helping. i work in an office with air con too its a nightmare.

on the advice of a friend I switched to E45 facial night cream and origins never say dry day cream and the difference is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

+1 for the Udo's oil. Don't ask me how but it helps greasy skin as well as dry. Something about getting the correct balance of oils in your skin. No matter how good the moisuriser is, it's only a temporary solution. Udo's is pricey enough but IMO the only thing that really works. It has the added bonus of strengthening your hair and nails too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Not really coming at this in the vein of make up appliance! But since I have eczema I know a thing or two about skin care! I use the following (linked) products, as well as plenty of water! (or the quota for the day)

http://www.bio-oil.info/en/home

http://www.aveeno.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Eucerin and a bit of hydrocortisone cream ( when very dry ) ftw...

http://www.eucerin.co.uk/dry_skin/5_urea_night_face_cream.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

lubie76 wrote: »
    +1 for the Udo's oil. Don't ask me how but it helps greasy skin as well as dry. Something about getting the correct balance of oils in your skin. No matter how good the moisuriser is, it's only a temporary solution. Udo's is pricey enough but IMO the only thing that really works. It has the added bonus of strengthening your hair and nails too.

tastes absoloutely disgusting though i couldnt stomach it at all

tastes absoloutely disgusting though i couldnt stomach it at all

I'd agree it's not the best tasting thing out there but after a while u get used to the taste and it doesn't bother u at all, like now i don't think it tastes that bad but i was talking to someone about it and he said he can't stomach it.

lubie76 wrote: »

Yeah it is a bit expensive but to me it's better than having red sore and dry skin, added bonus is it improves your memory and should keep alzheimer's at bay ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

virgin coconut oil, the kind you eat. Gets rid of dry skin, eczema, eveything. Rub it on your skin and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

+1 for the E45 cream. I had the same problem with my skin for the past couple of weeks so for a couple of mornings and nights i slathered my face in E45 and it did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

-1 for E45 and Eucerin, the only cream which doesn't sting me is Aqueous cream. Works a treat, throw it on before you go to bed or you can you it as a wash in the bath/shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I used e45 cream for years, but I think I became intolerent to it. I can't use most moisturisers. I've tried loads, including LA ROCHE POSAY and loved it but then again I becme intolerent to it. I've been using "Slicock's Base" for a few months now and I'm fine, most chemist's should have it. And it's very cheap 2.55euro for 100g tub

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

sedohre wrote: »
    I used e45 cream for years, but I think I became intolerent to it. I can't use most moisturisers. I've tried loads, including LA ROCHE POSAY and loved it but then again I becme intolerent to it. I've been using "Slicock's Base" for a few months now and I'm fine, most chemist's should have it. And it's very cheap 2.55euro for 100g tub

Slicocks Base and Aqueous cream are basically the same.

Well folks,there has been loads of tips,thanks so much. I bought Udo's Oil (21.99for 90capsules) and started taking them. I wouldnt handle the liquid! drinking loads and using Roc Endrial for very dry and atopic skin but remember using that aqueous cream a few years back so i think ill buy some again. it is dead cheap and i actually found it good as a makeup base. beginning to think that the MaC makeup may be the cause as i stopped it and switched back to a loreal true cover foundation and it worked great..so maybe the makeup i had been using for ages it just too heavy and drying for my skin right now. thanks for all your tips they have been so helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I read in another thread that grapeseed oil is supposed to be a good face wash for toublesome skin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If your heating system consists of a bunch of radiators, you should always leave a couple of bowls of water sitting on a few of the rads.

The water in the bowl will evaporate, keep the moisture in the air and stop it from drying out your skin.

People might think you're a leetle weird though.

Yup, heard that works alright! It seems to be a common complaint this weather with people going from hot to cold, the weather is so unreliable..have to say, Ive only been taking the Udo's Oil a few days and actually think Ive noticed a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Zorba wrote: »
    Your better off treating your skin from the inside rather than the outside. U should aim for 2 litres of water a day and something like flax seed oil or udos oil both available from health food shops. I personally use the udos oil and the only time i get dry skin now is when i stop using it !

Where has it been proven anywhere that drinking excess water changes dry skin? Dry skin in general is caused by people washing with soaps, using too much, too often. I used to have extremely dry skin but I started washing with only water most of the time, and using face wash when necessary, as opposed to out of habit.
    Why pay money for moisturizers etc. when ye're skin makes it own, which you decide to strip away completely with soaps twice daily. How can someone expect their skin to be anything other than dry doing that?

• Advertisement

Where has it been proven anywhere that drinking excess water changes dry skin? Dry skin in general is caused by people washing with soaps, using too much, too often. I used to have extremely dry skin but I started washing with only water most of the time, and using face wash when necessary, as opposed to out of habit.
    Why pay money for moisturizers etc. when ye're skin makes it own, which you decide to strip away completely with soaps twice daily. How can someone expect their skin to be anything other than dry doing that?

It's been proven everytime i don't drink water, cos my skin gets dry along with red itchy patches every though i'm washing the same amount. So i start drinking my water again and hey presto after a few days my skin is back to normal.

Proof enough for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should always check out any underlying cause of dry skin like a thyroid imbalance - something very common in people of 'Celtic' or Viking descent.

Advertisement