Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving so soon...

Options
  • 24-05-2008 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Right so, I'm a uni student and started employment as a barman just over a month ago. I'd been looking for a job all term but, just my luck, I get one as the academic year is coming to an end.
    My student accommodation lease runs out today, I can't find/afford somewhere else to stay and I've a flight home booked for the 3rd June. I'll be staying at a friends (on their couch/bed when its free) until then.

Do you think my employer will be a bit pissed off that I'm leaving? I'd like to take the job up again next year (i.e. September) and of course I'd like to use them as a reference.
    I'm not on a contract, although I do think I should let them know soon as it's not too far in the future that I'll be leaving.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Right so, I'm a uni student and started employment as a barman just over a month ago. I'd been looking for a job all term but, just my luck, I get one as the academic year is coming to an end.
    My student accommodation lease runs out today, I can't find/afford somewhere else to stay and I've a flight home booked for the 3rd June. I'll be staying at a friends (on their couch/bed when its free) until then.

Do you think my employer will be a bit pissed off that I'm leaving? I'd like to take the job up again next year (i.e. September) and of course I'd like to use them as a reference.
    I'm not on a contract, although I do think I should let them know soon as it's not too far in the future that I'll be leaving.

Your employer might well be annoyed that you're leaving so soon, yes. And they might not be willing to take you back next year. It depends on the individual as a boss and if, for example, you said you'd be willing to stay on until Christmas, or something along those lines. Not necessarily something legally binding, but your word, as such. They probably weren't expecting you to leave so soon.

You'd want to let them know as soon as possible - you're not giving them a lot of notice as it is - less than a week at this stage, if you haven't already. All you can do is explain the situation, say you've enjoyed your time there and that you'd like to return in September. And hope for the best.

Advertisement