Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on Golf VR6 2.8L

Options
  • 24-05-2008 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a bike in the summer meaning I won't be using my car that often so I'm half thinking about selling my little 1.4 litre and buying a car with a bit more power for weekends and bad weather, something along the lines of an old school VW Golf VR6 2.8L. An example of a VR6 http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/VR6-2.8L/1003343/

I want to keep whatever car I buy under €6000 as the car will be parked up most of the time. Unfortunately the VR6 falls into the €1200 yearly tax bracket so I am open to suggestions if you guys feel creative.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Nephew wrote: »
    I'm buying a bike in the summer meaning I won't be using my car that often so I'm half thinking about selling my little 1.4 litre and buying a car with a bit more power for weekends and bad weather, something along the lines of an old school VW Golf VR6 2.8L. An example of a VR6 http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/VR6-2.8L/1003343/

I want to keep whatever car I buy under €6000 as the car will be parked up most of the time. Unfortunately the VR6 falls into the €1200 yearly tax bracket so I am open to suggestions if you guys feel creative.

Thanks

€6,000 might just scrape you a Carlos Sainz Celica! At least a GT4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/80/2.6E-V6/950909/ might also be of interest (even though it's obviously not a S4 and the mileage is suspisciously low)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

What about this?

or this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

why buy a vr6 , go to germany and buy a r32.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

No first hand esp of the VR6 but i drive a car with the uprated 2.8V6 24v engine and its a lovely engine,loves to be pushed on,endless power band and a sweet sweet sound.having said that its a very easy engine to tip around town in,although it drink petrol in traffic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How about a Saab 9000

bit of a sleeper those

Cheap to buy, very comfy, very practical and the 2.0 liter turbo is quicker than the 150 bhp make it sound (and cheaper on tax)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

A big fan of the VR6 myself, but talked myself out of getting one and got the GTi instead - mainly because of the tax and the fact that they absolutely drink petrol, so not a great choice for commuting.

Having said that, the one in your ad wouldn't appeal to me at all with that bodykit and those lights, but that's just my personal taste...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I can't say I'm too fond of the boy racer crap that is applied to a lot of these cars, like the one I linked to. Now I'm starting to think about a mk1 or mk2 gti for the same reasons as daedalus. What would be the best gti to go for performance wise?

Peasant I may even look into the 9000, I like the quirky styling of old Saabs.

This Audi 80 also caught my eye but with the new emissions based tax system coming into effect next Monday I don't think it would be feasible to bring one in from the UK. I can't find any info on co2 emissions but I'm guessing it would be in the highest tax band of €2,000 a year.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/519155.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I had a VR6 for about 8 months when they were released, absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

This Audi 80 also caught my eye but with the new emissions based tax system coming into effect next Monday I don't think it would be feasible to bring one in from the UK. I can't find any info on co2 emissions but I'm guessing it would be in the highest tax band of €2,000 a year.
    No it won't. Only VRT is changing on any imports first registered before 1/1/08.

Road tax will continue to be done on engine size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Your VRT will be based on emissions, but the tax will be still based on the engine size.

Edit: Damn you E92, you bet me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

peasant wrote: »
    How about a Saab 9000

bit of a sleeper those

Cheap to buy, very comfy, very practical and the 2.0 liter turbo is quicker than the 150 bhp make it sound (and cheaper on tax)

I have my 9000 for 2 years now, best car I ever had. Comfy cruiser that can go like snot if asked........ ask the guy in the Honda that I just wafted by last week:D.
    But what I really want is the 9000 Aero (225 bhp) and easily chipped to infinity and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Nice car, drinks fuel, huge tax, not very quick at all, but that sound ! I've driven 2 or 3 different VR6's, and they've all been well mannered in the bends if not a little front end heavy. But as I said, they're not that quick !

You can get a lot nicer/quicker cars for that kind of money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I drove a 2.8 VR6 years ago around London and the M25. I thought it was great. Pulled nicely and sounded brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This Audi 80 also caught my eye but with the new emissions based tax system coming into effect next Monday I don't think it would be feasible to bring one in from the UK.
    Bit ahead of yourself there! The new VRT rates do not start until July 1st. As posters have said, road tax will be on the existing cc-based rate.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I would second that... but... On the downsides the Civic would be a bigger target for thieves, and is about half a second slower to 60.

Advertisement