Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eau de toilette/cologne/deo - what's the difference??

Options
  • 24-05-2008 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I know that it's something to do with the strength of the fragrance, but can't remember exactly. I'm looking to buy some new fragrance & sometimes there's three or four different sprays for some brands. Does the fact that the deo sprays tend to be a good bit cheaper than the EDT mean that it's a weaker version of the fragrance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Deodorant is for underarms.
    EDC and EDT are similar in that they are sprays (they are dispensed by spritzing it onto body, usually pulse points like your neck or wrist)
    EDC is stronger than EDT, and I think EDT is more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭dubdcugirly

Anti-persperient stops you sweating.
    Deo covers the smell of sweat.
    EDT and col is just to make you smell nice not much def between the too..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Darondo wrote: »
    I know that it's something to do with the strength of the fragrance, but can't remember exactly. I'm looking to buy some new fragrance & sometimes there's three or four different sprays for some brands. Does the fact that the deo sprays tend to be a good bit cheaper than the EDT mean that it's a weaker version of the fragrance?

http://ask.yahoo.com/20030226.html
    Perfume, also called extract or extrait perfume, can include 15-40% perfume concentrates. This is the purest form of scented product and is the most expensive as a result.

Eau de parfum contains about 7-15% perfume concentrates. This is the most popular and common form of perfume. It provides a long-lasting fragrance and generally doesn't cost as much as extract perfume.

Eau de toilette has around 1-6% perfume concentrates. This makes for a light scent that doesn't linger as long as the more intense versions. It was originally intended to be a refreshing body splash to help people wake up in the morning.

Eau de cologne is sometimes used interchangeably with the term eau de toilette. However, the concoction began as the name of a light, fresh fragrance mixed with citrus oils and was made popular by Napoleon. Some perfumers today have a version of this called eau fraiche.

Advertisement