Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Recommendations

Options
  • 23-05-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm interested in doing a bit of web development and seeing how I get on at it. I'm an engineer, well versed in C, C++, Java, HTML, bit of Javascript etc but beyond making a page with some text and photos on it with maybe some CSS thrown in to put some shape on it I haven't a clue.

I've looked at the online tutorials for PHP, Perl, CGI, SQL etc. and I feel liked I've only scratched the surface of what is possible with web development.

So, 2 questions really.

1. Where should I focus myself? I'd like to be able to start off simple enough but this will be a pet project/hobby and I'll want to see where I can go with it. Things like adding user databases, managing new content, playing about with sever side stuff.

2. Any good books you can recommend on any topics you feel important in web development? Amazon have a sale on. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'd recommend probably getting a cookbook on php / mysql

I can't really recommend any at the moment as any of the books I've used would be a few years out of date now. (php having gone from 4 ... to 6)

I quite liked the simplicity of the headfirst into ajax book

I'm originally an engineer (electronic) who went into web development / graphics so I'd really say ... get yourself some mysql material ... php or asp material ... Try and find a framework to work with as well if using php ... maybe zend ... or cake

apart from that ... good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thanks for the reply.
    Will definitely get something on mySQL and PHP though I think I'm familiar enough with PHP now from online tutorials.

Another question though. What are zend and cake??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Bacchus wrote: »
    Another question though. What are zend and cake??

Frameworks for structured development :) both using the MVC design principle I believe ... similar to rails for ruby

Advertisement