Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get rid of Malicious Software Tool download prompt?

Options
  • 23-05-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

It won't go away! Windows Automatic Update keeps insisting I download this even when I deselect this download and select "Do not remind me of this download again".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I had a similar problem before with a different update, instead of installing it through Windows Updates I dowloaded the update and manualy installed it, restarted Windows searched for updates and the problem was gone, don't know why or how but it worked.

Here's a download link to your update, maybe try what I did and see if it sorts it, long shot but worth ago. Windows Updates can be very messy and there could be a hundred different reasons to why it aint working on your PC.

LINK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks keen.. but my problem is that I don't want it! Automatic Update has a checkbox for every update in the list that allows the user chose not to download a particular one. When an update is deselected the user can select another box so that you won't be prompted to download it again. But everytime the computer is switched on the prompt appears to download it.

Anyone know if I go ahead and download/install this "tool" of a program is it uninstallable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I believe it is, not 100% but 99.9% sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

shayser wrote: »
    Anyone know if I go ahead and download/install this "tool" of a program is it uninstallable?

pretty sure it asks your pc to reboot after its installed, and after the reboot it runs a manual scan and uninstalls itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Yeah, as far as I know too they only run once then disappear.

Thanks. I'll go ahead an install it then seeing as MS are so desperate for me to have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

sadly a new one comes out every month, so its going to be an ongoing problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830
    How to remove the Malicious Software Removal Tool

The Malicious Software Removal Tool does not use an installer. Typically, when you run the Malicious Software Removal Tool, it creates a randomly named temporary directory on the root drive of the computer. This directory contains several files, and it includes the Mrtstub.exe file. Most of the time, this folder is automatically deleted after the tool finishes running or after the next time that you start the computer. However, this folder may not always be automatically deleted. In these cases, you can manually delete this folder, and this has no adverse effect on the computer.

Might be an XP Pro/Home thing. On the XP Pro machines at work it does what it's told when told not to remind of the update again (I'm pretty sure) but this is an XP home machine.

Advertisement