Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Atlantic hurricane season

Options
  • 23-05-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

Well, the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season is starting soon, June 1st.

The latest prediction from the NOAA yesterday called for an above average season with 12-16 named storms, 6-9 hurricanes and 2-5 major hurricanes.

Arthur will be the first name of this season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oh great, another excuse to hike the Diesel prices. :rolleyes:

What are the SSTs like between Africa and the Carribean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Danno wrote: »
    Oh great, another excuse to hike the Diesel prices. :rolleyes:

What are the SSTs like between Africa and the Carribean?
    Near favourable @26c

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Do you any of you think this would have an effect on flights to the US?

No effects. Flight paths actually run closer to Greenland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well, the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season is starting soon, June 1st.

The latest prediction from the NOAA yesterday called for an above average season with 12-16 named storms, 6-9 hurricanes and 2-5 major hurricanes.

Arthur will be the first name of this season.

If i can recal correctly, last year they were predicting a pretty major Atlantic hurricane season for 2007, and that turned out to be a bit of a boob. Hope they are right this time, would love to experience a "Debbie" type storm before I am laid in the cold ground :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'll be in Flordia, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean for 3 months of the hurricane season this year so i'm bound to be caught up in one.....again.

I'll post up pictures.

Geez, be careful out there lad!

On another note, I wonder is the current vortex over Biscay going to have any effect on the season as the NE trade winds off Portugal will be disrupted by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

We have our first system of the 2008 Hurricane Season as of this evening, Irish time.

The Eastern Pacific had it's first storm, Alma, of the 2008 season during the week and this dissipated soon after it formed over Central America - some of its sub-systems have come out in the Western Carribean and turned into Tropical Depression Arthur. It has already hit Central America again, and will weaken, but will cross into the Bay of Campeche, where it will probably strengthen.

Well, the East Pacific has been busy in the last 10 days or so, with Hurricane Boris and two tropical storms, one still being active, (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#BORIS and http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#DOUGLAS), but the Atlantic has been quiet, at least until now.

We have TD Two (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#TWO) which came off the coast of Africa already organised (!) and another belt of activity in the Eastern Carribean that looks like it will dissipate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

We have TD Two (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#TWO) which came off the coast of Africa already organised (!) and another belt of activity in the Eastern Carribean that looks like it will dissipate again.

TD Two should be a TS within the next 24 hrs.

• Advertisement

Now TS Bertha and headed northwest. NOAA said "hurricane in 5 days" yesterday, but now they say colder water and wind shear in the later part of the forecast period might be a factor.

Advertisement