Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Liffey Tunnel

Options
  • 23-05-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember there was a plan to build a tunnel under the Liffey from (I think) the M50/M4 to Dublin Port. I presume it got shelved in favour of the tunnel going under Fairview and Artane.

Doesn't seem to be much about the web about it except for in Dail debates. I remember some people prefering it as it would reduce traffic on the quays, and allow for easier East/West freight transport. There were apparently also offers of private funding to build it. Not to be confused also with the Interconnector rail link.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

donaghs wrote: »
    Does anyone remember there was a plan to build a tunnel under the Liffey from (I think) the M50/M4 to Dublin Port. I presume it got shelved in favour of the tunnel going under Fairview and Artane.

Doesn't seem to be much about the web about it except for in Dail debates. I remember some people prefering it as it would reduce traffic on the quays, and allow for easier East/West freight transport. There were apparently also offers of private funding to build it. Not to be confused also with the Interconnector rail link.

The Liffey Tunnel was one of three proposals to deal with Dublin's freight traffic. The other two were the Dublin Port Tunnel, and the Tolka Truck-way using the lower (freight) railway - the cheap alternative! If this cheap option was used, the Docklands Station might not have seen the light of day (the station couldn't easily avail of the upper railway (via Drumcondra), due to the track configuration at East Wall).

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 de breeze

The promoter behind the East-West tunnel was Tom Roche and his company NTR, who of course delivered Eastlink and Westlink. The project failed to attract political support and fell by the wayside

Advertisement