Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is MSN safe

Options
  • 23-05-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Is MSN a security risk? If I use it am I more likely to get a virus or a spyware infection? Can I register a different hotmail name to use it? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is MSN a security risk? If I use it am I more likely to get a virus or a spyware infection? Can I register a different hotmail name to use it? Thanks

Never had any issues with msn messenger, i wouldn't worry about it tbh, just make sure you have avg anti spyware and the likes and you'll be grand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Your internet connection is a security risk and if you use it you're more likely to get a virus or spyware. That doesn't mean you should stop using it though. All you have to do is apply some common sense. Don't open attachments from people you don't know or that look suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

probably one of the safer messaging clients out there tbh.

just don't go clicking links from people even if you trust the person, ask them first what it is they are sending, if they reply with "wtf you talking about?" don't click the link, if they say "ohh it's a photo of me getting absolutely ****faced" then click away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Depends on whether you blindly accept and open files you're sent. Like a lot of things the weakest link is the user. Just be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

Your internet connection is a security risk and if you use it you're more likely to get a virus or spyware. That doesn't mean you should stop using it though. All you have to do is apply some common sense. Don't open attachments from people you don't know or that look suspicious.
    So it is basically the same as the internet, take the same precautions?
    Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Cremo wrote: »
    probably one of the safer messaging clients out there tbh.

just don't go clicking links from people even if you trust the person, ask them first what it is they are sending, if they reply with "wtf you talking about?" don't click the link, if they say "ohh it's a photo of me getting absolutely ****faced" then click away
    that happened with my friend, we kept getting just links from her to a site that claimed to show who was blocking you on msn. she didnt even know. changed her password and it stopped i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

You can obtain someones IP and use their ports to plant trojans if yuo really want, but it's a whole load of effort that most wouldn't bother with. Besides, there are easier ways!

Advertisement