Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciaran O'Leary Becomes PaddyPowerPoker Pro

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Good luck to him. I'm a little surprised at the choice in that I'm not sure how much additional exposure he would get for paddy's in their primary market but perhaps that isn't the point.

It just shows you how valuable a WSOP bracelet can be.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The strategy articles that sponsored players generally write are awful. What's the point in re-hashing some basic concept. He seems to be a good fit for PPP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

ollyk1 wrote: »
    Good luck to him. I'm a little surprised at the choice in that I'm not sure how much additional exposure he would get for paddy's in their primary market but perhaps that isn't the point.

It just shows you how valuable a WSOP bracelet can be.....

I think Paddy Power made the perfect choice in Kieran o Leary. Well spoken,
    high profile, good player, excellent with the media. I think they'll be good for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I'm also a bit supprised at this selection, Marty Smyth been a home base player on the UK/Ireland scene is a far better fit, or someone else from the UK scene etc. Ciaran isn't that well known in the UK and as very little exposure to irish players except for the last 12 months.

But its great to see PP getting behind a player at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

connie147 wrote: »
    I think Paddy Power make the perfect choice in Kieran o Leary. Well spoker,
    high profile, good player, excellent with the media. I think they'll be good for each other.

I agree with all your points Connie but I also agree with Mr Boyce in that his reputation in the Irish market and his profile would be quite low but perhaps its a strategic decision in terms of a wider market etc. by PPP. Either way its a development to be welcomed and I'm sure they'll both do well.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Marty Smyth is already sponsored.

Personally I would have though I would have been a much better choice. I recently got a good result in the Fitz cash league and have won a few tournaments this year. No CPT ones though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

5starpool wrote: »

Personally I would have though I would have been a much better choice. I recently got a good result in the Fitz cash league and have won a few tournaments this year. No CPT ones though :(

Ban imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

5starpool wrote: »

Yeh I know Marty is sponsored, but PP should have pick him up last year after he won the IO. I think PP should add a year sponsorship to the IO as extra prize money, think this would be a great promotion, something similiar to what stars do for the WSOP etc.

Also, if you dont win a CPT event, your not really a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

zuutroy wrote: »
    The strategy articles that sponsored players generally write are awful. What's the point in re-hashing some basic concept. He seems to be a good fit for PPP though.

One man's garbage is another man's gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

good luck to him and good to see ppp sponsoring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭davidgti

nicnicnic wrote: »
    good luck to him and good to see ppp sponsoring

+1 gl too him..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,645 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A safe bet from PP. Good luck to him with it. Good interview here with him at the IO.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Yeh I know Marty is sponsored, but PP should have pick him up last year after he won the IO. I think PP should add a year sponsorship to the IO as extra prize money, think this would be a great promotion, something similiar to what stars do for the WSOP etc.

Also, if you dont win a CPT event, your not really a player.

I'd imagine that Marty is a little out of PPP league. He is the real deal and not a flash in the pan. Hes better off asociated with one of the bigger sites and in good company with ANNETTE OBRESTAD and SOREL MIZZI.

Can see him gettin a few results in WSOP 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Hes better off asociated with one of the bigger sites and in good company with ANNETTE OBRESTAD and SOREL MIZZI.

with Boyles? :confused:

karlh wrote: »
    with Boyles? :confused:

My mistake.
    was thinkin betfair

But he is a far superior player both tournament and cash.
    I think he would have been the ideal PPP player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

"Not only is the poker software and range of games top notch...."

I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Match made in heaven, O'Leary puts the 'O' in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

hotspur wrote: »
    Match made in heaven, O'Leary puts the 'O' in Irish.
    Wp:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

I think its a good move for all parties involved. Ciaran is a top man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I think it's a very good choice. He can play, talk, and write, and he's much more likely to get major exposure from doing well on the U.S. circuit than somebody playing on the Irish circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

Well spoken,
    high profile, good player, excellent with the media.
    I have to disagree with this and some other comments made above.Is it just me that finds this guy incredibly irritating?. Watching his commentary of the Irish Open nearly made me throw the remote control through the television. His pseudo americanisms and hyperbole are a chilling example of what can go wrong for decent Irish people when they cross the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

would you ever consider writing a blog conor??

would you ever consider writing a blog conor??

I cant imagine too many people would be interested in reading about my daily repitition of misery in front of a computer Donal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Conbro wrote: »
    I cant imagine too many people would be interested in reading about my daily repitition of misery in front of a computer Donal.

Conors blog imo:

Woke up, had some eggs.
    Did some coke,porked a hooker.
    More eggs.
    Potted online, won some dough.

Wandered into Lukes
    More potting imo
    Omaha sucks -24 buys ins
    Beans for dinner cos of previous mention of -24 buy ins

Played some live cash, really wanted a hooker but no cash cos of -24 buy ins
    won about 4k playing live, mostly from Keith Rooney
    Spent Rooneys money on a Brasser, good porking.

had some eggs,
    Bed

*is prob not true.

*is prob not true.

yes it is:pac:

(only kidding)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I have to disagree with this and some other comments made above.Is it just me that finds this guy incredibly irritating?. Watching his commentary of the Irish Open nearly made me throw the remote control through the television. His pseudo americanisms and hyperbole are a chilling example of what can go wrong for decent Irish people when they cross the Atlantic.

I concur with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Congratulations Ciaran.
    I think he'll be a great ambassador for PPP.

Fatboydim wrote: »
    Congratulations Ciaran.
    I think he'll be a great ambassador for PPP.

In what way? a great ambassador...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

This guy proved to be very popular during his stint at the IO tv coverage, especially to the ordinary/average poker player. The reason I say this is because that was the general thoughts of many of my club members when discussing the coverage of the IO. And this is the target audience for PPP. He comes across very well during inteviews and I think PPP made a wise choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mistabutta

your right he is perfect for the target market for PPP..i've heard many local players praise him.. he's good for exposure in america too..and mainly he has charisma and is considered a "character" unlike someone like marty smyth who while being a great player is very quiet and shys away.. o'leary is more in the line of someone like parkinson..typical irish example of a wise cracking irish man, humorous etc

Advertisement