Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tire of Choice

Options
  • 23-05-2008 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi all,another general tire question.Does anyone know what the tire choice for some of the top end riders in something like Paris/Roubaix is,or indeed what would you recommend for rough rides on cobbles,bad roads etc,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Vredestein Fortezza is what i rec one of the best tyres there is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Top riders ... what ever their sponsor gives them :-P

Lots of pictures of Paris-Roubaix equipment here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/paris-roubaix-tech-more-bikes-15880?img=35

I'd stick the fatest softest tyre you can fit through my brakes/frame. The pros seem to run about 25mm tyres on the P-R, still pretty thin if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As Rob says, it would often be up to what the sponsor gave them. 25mm would be standard. There are indeed Vredestein Fortezza Pro tyres in there. I think I read some reports of rebadging, with someone running Schwalbe Stelvios (a pretty inexpensive tyre) rebadged as Ultremo, maybe as Ultremos are 23mm only. Could have been the Tour of Flanders that one.

Boonen may have had a freer choice and used FMB (www.fm-boyaux.fr) who are a small specialized tyre maker with a strong reputation in cyclo-cross. Not cheap. A lot of other riders would have used Dugast (www.a-dugast.com), also a tiny manufacturer who does production runs as small as 30 tyres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

thanks boys,much obliged for your thoughts,what do you use yourselves?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kev_rower

Vittoria corsa EVO - CX would be my choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bit of a mix-

Continental Gatorskin on my commuter (and rear on my training wheel at the mo as I had a bit of a pop that destroyed a Stelvio)
    Bontrager Race Lite on my (light) tourer - would change if going on tour
    Schwalbe Stelvio on my training wheels
    Schwalbe Ultremo on my new climbing wheels (tyres arrived but still deciding on the wheels!)

These would all be 700x23c tyres. I have used Armadillos in 700x25 before which are _abolutely_ bombproof but a bit slippy.

Advertisement