Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a car in Ireland

Options
  • 23-05-2008 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have a bit of a tour of Cork in September and was thinking of renting for a week as my yoke is a bit small and a bit old.

However there seems to be restrictions on how many years you have a full license - some places want a license for 2 years and others for 3.

I only have a full license since late last year - does anyone know of a car rental firm that does not have these requirements or am i stuck with the 98 Megane?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Hi

Have a bit of a tour of Cork in September and was thinking of renting for a week as my yoke is a bit small and a bit old.

However there seems to be restrictions on how many years you have a full license - some places want a license for 2 years and others for 3.

I only have a full license since late last year - does anyone know of a car rental firm that does not have these requirements or am i stuck with the 98 Megane?

Clancy Car Rentals

47 MacCurtain st Cork

(021)4503536

Their about the only one in Cork i've found :(

I'm in the same boat .. ffs its ridiculous.

They should go off your No-Claims rather than years on a full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

I'll actually need to pick it up in Dublin to take to Cork (sorry should have made that clear).

I agree on the no-claims bonus idea - sounds like a much better way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    I'll actually need to pick it up in Dublin to take to Cork (sorry should have made that clear).

I agree on the no-claims bonus idea - sounds like a much better way of doing things.

Id say ring around, only crowds i could find in Dublin were ones that said you had to transfer your insurance over to their rental car for the period of rental

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

craichoe wrote: »
    They should go off your No-Claims rather than years on a full license.

It's a restriction impossed by the car rental company's insurance carrier. Insurance costs are generally high for car hire companies.

Advertisement