Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a dog

Options
  • 23-05-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have on occasion fostered dogs but was not in a position to have one for a long period due to my work hours. My hours have now changed and I am thinking of getting a pup (I say pup because I have two cats and want to be totally secure in their safety). I am not sure however if my new hours are suitable so was hoping for some advice.

Basicially with my new arrangement I will be two days in the office, out of the house from 6.30 to 5, but my fiance will be there until 8, which means the dog will be alone for 8 hours. Our local vets have a dog walking/sitting facility which I would use. The other 5 days a week I will be there all day. We have a holiday in Ireland booked at the end of June which the dog would join us on, and another one at the end of August abroad, in which case I will either have the dog in the kennels (cared for by the girl who would be pet sitting during the 2 days I'm working) or else with my mother, who I assume the dog will be comfortable with at this stage, with weekend visits etc, another option would be to have my sister stay in my house with him/her.

I don't know if this would be a suitable situation for a pup, although I know it's not perfect, it would be a lot better than some dogs get. The days I am there he would be with me all day, the days I'm not he would be cared for (1 or 2 hours) by a professional.

I would consider getting two, a staffie or staffie cross (I want people to see a happy, friendly dog trotting beside me) and a mongrel, which I don't really care about the breed of, I love collies, but reckon they might be a bit too high energy for me. Any dog I get will be a rescue.

Do you think it would be an ok life for the dogs, or would I be better off leaving it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Helena Staff's are always been put down in pounds, check out www.dogsindistress.org and think about saving a couple!

2 dogs together will look after each other boredom wise and you can do the best you can with your partner to keep them stimulated..

best of luck Helena and please look at the staffs as there always 1st to be put down..and are usually the tamest dogs in the shelters..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I know it's so sad, it's DID I dealt with when fostering and they are a fantastic operation (although I haven't in a long while as I had a bad experience with a dog so I stopped fostering after that) and it's suprising how many staffs (and boxers) end up in the pound! I do think we'll be getting a pup though, I know it would be better for me to take an adult but I just cant risk it with my cats after last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If your used to dealing with DiD you'll know the terrible situation Staffies and Pitbulls find themselves in, save one!.

But also if your dealing with DiD and Ashtown you'll know Ashtowns policy on re-homing the bull breeds in Dublin (I never checked your profile to see where you are).

But even if you are in Dublin (& you know DiD and Ashtown) then you'll know its not entirely impossible to rehome a bull breed out of there.

DiD's online site isn't very user friendly, actually its a mess, but you'll find the same dogs (and more) plus the same DiD personalities on PETSIRELAND

I got Jericho through DiD, he was a nice 'little' Staffie who is growing into a nicer little Pitbull (in everyone's opinion by mine!). And he's brilliant.

I have a soft spot for Collies, I grew up with one for 17yrs.

Ok, one negative to owning a bull breed. You'll constantly be on the defensive with him over snide, stupid & ignorant remarks - doesn't matter if its a Staffie, Pitbull, English Bull Terrier etc - to the ignorant they're all 'THOSE PITBULLS', and you'll defend his breed/your dog regularly.

Do a youtube search on Pitbulls and Staffordshire Bull Terrier and all you'l find are positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Helena,

If you want to go and get a pup you go do it. You sound like any dog in your home will be a lucky and loved one. I don't mean to sound cruel but sometimes all the talk about rescuing older dogs can get over the top. I've seen rescue dogs which never settled in to their new homes; dogs who had a tendancy to stray (hence ending up in the shelters,) and dogs with downright personality problems. Again I appreciate that many fine dogs came from shelters(including one of my own) but as I said if you want a pup, go get one and enjoy it. BTW The collie may not require as much energy as you think. While my Rough Collie loves lots of runs, I can stand in the field and just let her at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mairt wrote: »
    you'll know Ashtowns policy on re-homing the bull breeds in Dublin (I never checked your profile to see where you are).
    I'm in Kilcullen so I should not have much of a problem. Thing is, most of the staffs are generally past the puppy stage and are handed in because the owners didn't realise how strong they are. I really would prefer to get a pup, the last pound dog I brought in was a collie with a lot more strength than I was expecting, ended up with a very nasty situation with one of my cats and me being dragged up the stairs :o If Kieran hadn't come in I dread to think what would have happened right in front of me!! Probably not a very good reason, but I just will not risk it again.
    Mairt wrote: »

Ok, one negative to owning a bull breed. You'll constantly be on the defensive with him over snide, stupid & ignorant remarks - doesn't matter if its a Staffie, Pitbull, English Bull Terrier etc - to the ignorant they're all 'THOSE PITBULLS', and you'll defend his breed/your dog regularly.
    I can imagine, but I wouldn't mind having to defend him. I hope to handle him in a way that he will speak for himself, a happy friendly dog will do more to shut those types of people up than a thousand arguements.

Srameen, you're right about the adult dogs, you have to be very careful. I think if you're taking an adult you should foster first to make sure you can manage him. If I didn't have the cats to worry about I probably would go for an adult. It's terribly sad to see older dogs in the pound, chances are they wont be coming out. :( although Ashtown do have a very good record thanks to DiD.

So you don't think the time I'll spend away from home would be a problem?

(also, I know it's a bit down the road, but getting married in 2010 and would love to take a 3 week honeymoon, would a dog be ok for that long seperated from its owners?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So you don't think the time I'll spend away from home would be a problem?

(also, I know it's a bit down the road, but getting married in 2010 and would love to take a 3 week honeymoon, would a dog be ok for that long seperated from its owners?)

No problem if the pup is trained to it and knows you'll be back. As for the honeymoon - many others manage it so I'm sure you will too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Hi Helena. I think your plan and your
    planned conditions sound excellent, and
    that you're right to opt for puppies (is it
    possible to have an older dog evaluated
    for cat friendliness in any of the rescue
    centres?) I started out with a couple of
    cats - got a pitbull puppy from the pound
    and trained her to love the cats (I can
    give specific details of how I went about
    this if you'd like).

Later on (abt. 6 months) I decided