Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Eyesight Tests/Reports and other questions

Options
  • 23-05-2008 3:23am

Im applying for my provisional licence, I need to wear glasses and had an eye test 6 months to attest to this fact, will i be able to get away with just producing the test which says tht I dont need another test for 2 years or am i going to have to pay for an eyetest just to say that i do infact need glasses, seems a bit silly when the form just asks for a yes or no answer, but then again this is burecracy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I need to wear glasses and had an eye test 6 months

As far as I know you need to complete form D502 (Eyesight Report) and submit it within one month of the eye test.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Bring the eye sight report to wherever you got your eyes tested the last time. They should just stamp it for free if they are anyway decent. Places like specsavers will usually charge no matter what though but the local opticians usually are more focussed on customer relations + service.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

dunno will this help but its my own experience

did the eye test in jan gone past, passed no bother but due to me being useless i did nothing about getting my provo lisence for about 6 weeks, but crap the form was useless (has to be used inside 4 weeks)

spotted jan ( 1) on the form easily turns into april (4) so waited till april, changed 5th of jan to 5th of april, sent of the application and hoped 4 the best

a week later my license arrived in the post - happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

My driving licence says I need to wear glasses and I normally don't. Do they ask you about this or anything in the test?

Would I get away with saying I'm wearing contacts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

It generally says you need to wear corrective lenses, not glasses. Contacts are fine. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

Triton wrote: »
    My driving licence says I need to wear glasses and I normally don't. Do they ask you about this or anything in the test?

Would I get away with saying I'm wearing contacts?

Surely you mean "Will I get away with wearing contacts"?, not just *saying* you're wearing them?

And if you need to wear corrective lenses to drive and you don't a) you are breaking the law and b) your insurance won't cover you.

If you do wear contacts though yeah, you're grand. Glasses aren't obligatory (as long as your contacts correct your sight sufficiently - mind don't correct my astigmatism, so don't count for driving :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LDriver

microgirl wrote: »
    - mind don't correct my astigmatism, so don't count for driving :()
    Excuse my curiosity but does that mean you cannot drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I think she means she can't wear contacts for her eyesight condition, just glasses.

@ OP: Surely if you need glasses to drive you should wear glassses/contacts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LDriver

I think she means she can't wear contacts for her eyesight condition, just glasses.
    Oh I see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 claireshm

Just wondering what the standard for the eyesight report is- I have fairly bad sight in one eye (about 10%) and good enough sight in the other but not perfect. I don't wear corrective lenses anymore as they don't make a significant difference. So would I have a good chance of passing the test with fairly good sight in one eye and virtually none in the other? Also is it necessary to apply for the theory test first or can I wait and do it within the month after getting the eyesight report? Feedback greatly appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'd say ya will have to wear glasses if its that bad and ya can do the theory test anytime, ya need the eyesight report to apply for the licence

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

claireshm wrote: »
    Just wondering what the standard for the eyesight report is- I have fairly bad sight in one eye (about 10%) and good enough sight in the other but not perfect. I don't wear corrective lenses anymore as they don't make a significant difference. So would I have a good chance of passing the test with fairly good sight in one eye and virtually none in the other? Also is it necessary to apply for the theory test first or can I wait and do it within the month after getting the eyesight report? Feedback greatly appreciated!!

All I can say is I am *very slightly* short-sighted - -0.75 in one eye and -1.5 in the other, and it was even less when I first got my eyes tested for driving - and I am legally obliged to wear glasses for driving. I don't need them for anything else except the cinema, and watching telly (and even then I can get away with it)

I'd be willing to bet money that you will need corrective lenses to drive. If your eyesight cannot be corrected, then you may never be permitted to drive.

Basically, you need to be able to clearly see the licence plate of the car in front of you when it's X distance away (not sure how far, but it's something like 3 car lengths)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was told by my optician that the legal requirement is 20/40 vision. This rougly translates to a need for a -0.75 lens.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

All I can say is I am *very slightly* short-sighted - -0.75 in one eye and -1.5 in the other, and it was even less when I first got my eyes tested for driving - and I am legally obliged to wear glasses for driving. I don't need them for anything else except the cinema, and watching telly (and even then I can get away with it)

+1 was prescribed glasses for same thing when i went for my eyesight test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

My eyesight is about -0.5 in both eyes and I'm ok to drive without corrective lenses. It says on the form for eyesight what the worst prescription can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

claireshm wrote: »

AFAIK, you only need sight in one eye to be eligible to drive.

Whether or not you have a good chance will depend quite a lot on how well you can cope with the (relative) lack of stereo vision and the accompanying (relative) lack of depth perception.

Also, with poor sight on one side, you have to be able to compensate in terms of being aware of what's going on on that side of the car.

ec18 wrote: »
    It says on the form for eyesight what the worst prescription can be.
    Being blessed with perfect eyesight this means nothing to me but it what's required:
    (a) The person shall have a visual acuity (with corrective lenses, where necessary) of not less than 0.5(6/12) bwhen using both eyes together.

(b) The horizontial field of vision shall not be less than 150 degrees.

(c) A person with sight in one eye shall have a visual acuity (with corrective lenses, where necessary) of not less than 0.6 (6/10), an unrestricted field of vision in the eye concerned and the monocular vision must have existed for sufficient time to allow adaptation.

Where the person needs to wear corrective lenses to meet the standard set out above, this must be specifically indicated on this form by ticking the appropriate box above.

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Thread merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I don't think anybody checks that kind of thing anyway.
    She can just tick no to the question when renewing her license and I doubt anyone will notice or check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I had my "test" today. Simply entailed following a pen around and then from either side.. My last full eye test was over a year ago. So depends. A friend of mine had to have a full test done.

I don't think anybody checks that kind of thing anyway.
    She can just tick no to the question when renewing her license and I doubt anyone will notice or check.
    I'm open to correction but I would imagine that, as the current licence must be included with the application, the quality control check on the licence would highlight a code on the former licence being absent from the new licence.

Personally, I would get another eye test done and include it with a cover note of explanation. Considering that the licence is valid for 10 years, the cost of the eye test is negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 claireshm

bonkey wrote: »
    AFAIK, you only need sight in one eye to be eligible to drive.

Whether or not you have a good chance will depend quite a lot on how well you can cope with the (relative) lack of stereo vision and the accompanying (relative) lack of depth perception.

Also, with poor sight on one side, you have to be able to compensate in terms of being aware of what's going on on that side of the car.

This was true, got my eyesight report today and was told i only had vision in one eye, but didnt seem to be a problem for the optician.:)

Advertisement