Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD knackered

Options
  • 23-05-2008 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi
    About a year ago, I lost a 20GB HD, it just went bang. I dug the thing out today after buying a caddy for it and nothing. Theres a few years of photos on it and I would like to get them back.

The HD has been in and out of the freezer on more than one occasion and each time it prooves useless. The only thing I havent tried is replacing the board, but is it worth it, would it actually work. The photos are very special but I cant afford to be blowing money on logic boards.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

How did it die in the first place?

Did it fall or receive any shocks?

I'd reckon the "freezer trick" has probably killed it more though if you have done it a few times. Condensation would be bad for it and if left wet I presume it could rust internally on the platters and heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

wiseolsham wrote: »
    About a year ago, I lost a 20GB HD, it just went bang.

Can BIOS still see it ?

If BIOS can't detect it, I'd be worried.
    If BIOS can detect it, but Windows can boot/read it, you might be in luck.

I've heard of Linux tools which are more robust at disk recovery.
    I haven't used any of them, but here's a link to the sort of thing I'd look for if I were in your situation and BIOS could see the disk.

Link to Linux Trinty Rescue Kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

you can have the data professionally recovered, but it comes at a a steep price.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

If it actually went 'bang', its obviously an electronic not mechanical problem. Problems of a mechanical nature sometimes can be 'repaired' with putting in fridge/freezer. In this case you need to replace the circuit board on the drive with an identical one ( even that may not work as there are different firmware for different models ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Thanks for all the replies. It just went bang, lol. Didnt mean it literally :) It wasnt dropped, just one day decided to start clicking like crazy.

Maybe its been frozen one too many times alright. Out of options I guess, as theres no way I could fork out the money for professional data recovery, which there is no gurantee with anyway.

Windows sees something in device manager. But any recovery software I run, say it has 0 sectors, 0 size and its not initilised.

Looks like it'll have to buried. Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

I'd contact the manufacturer cause when I contacted seagate(maxtor) they said they would see if they could do it before they'd charge me and then because it was under warranty they ended up not charging me! All you'll pay is delivery and it might be worth if they mean alot to you

Advertisement