Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Dual Channel with Intel Board

Options
  • 23-05-2008 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭

Talking to my mate on TS last night and he was saying he was having trouble with his Mobo and couldn't find an answer anywhere so I thought that I would try here for him .

This is a thread he started on another board
    First let me say hi to everyone here..
    I have read through PAGES and PAGES of issues with this board and memory.
    However none have covered My problem.
    Let me start from the beginning
    I started off with a Intel D975 board and 2 1 GB sticks of Corsair CM2X1024-5400C4 Strange thing happened when I tried to make
    these Dual channel Worked fine in slot 1,3 (not dual Channel)
    but came up with post error saying its not optimal as its not in dual mode.
    So i swapped one stick to slot 2 (BEEP BEEP BEEP) no mem post failure.
    hmmmm strange so I take 1 out of slot 1 and try it just 1 stick in slot 3
    (BEEP BEEP BEEP) post error
    Now I know the memory is ok as both sticks work Fine in slot 1,3 single channel so I assume it must be the MB
    So I buy another MB the Intel D975BX2 a natural upgrade or so I thought but got the same errors on that board ARGGGGGGGGG
    not one to give Up i think hmm maybe there is a problem with that memory so I Buy 2 sticks of 2 GB TWIN2x4096-6400C5 from corsair hey its so cheap now why not right ?
    BUT I get exactly the same problem with that They work fine in single channel
    but If I but anything in slots 2,4 It just goes (BEEP BEEP BEEP)
    I am pulling my hair out here Do i just have the wrong memory ? everything Ive read here suggests not
    I have tried uping the V to 2.1 as suggested but to no avail also changed the speed to suggested and to defaults.
    No matter what i do I just cannot get this memory to work in dual Channel am I going MAD...........

ANY help would be much appreciated before I give up and just stick to my 360 :p
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

According to the Spec slot 1 & 3 IS dual channel (Interleaved) mode. Of course it depends on what he regards 1 & 3 as. The spec says they are colour coded (DIMM0=blue, DIMM1=black) so slot 1=channel A, DIMM0 and slot 3=channel B, DIMM0 as per picture A. Is that a correct assumption?

Picture B shows his setup.

To test the RAM put each DIMM in slot 1 (channel A, DIMM0) in turn and it should read it in single channel (Asymmetric) mode.

Maybe your friend should reset the BIOS to factory settings to allow autodetect voltage/speed/type.
    The Intel D975BX2 is speced to work with 1.8v and 1.9v DDR2s, so only TWIN2x4096-6400C5 should work in this mbd.

Confusion reigned and they all got wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

He got it sorted by a process of elimination
    Who would have believed it I fix Pc and laptops for a living HP certified and all...
    This was being caused by a fixing nut on the box not matching any hole so was just sat under the board.
    after allot of messing around I found this placing the MB on the box and booting proved it was a grounding issue somewhere.

this didn't jump out and hit me straight away as when the board was back on the fixing plate
    you couldnt see the rogue fixing nut however I did spot it and removed it and now its booting in dual mode fine.

PS
    I did buy another PSU today aswell but wsnt needed...

Thanks again for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Board out of case with gfx/ram/cpu/psu connected (and nothing else) is always a good way to check if it's a hardware issue :)

Advertisement