Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Medicine

Options
  • 23-05-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Ok so I was wondering is there anyone applying for the new grad entry to medicine next year. I was thinking about it but my undergrad degree has nothing to do with this area whatsoever. Granted im a few years off this decision yet but still its never to early to weigh up your options is it??

Anyway I was wondering also if anyone knows anything about the course? Is not have an undergrad degree in science a disadvantage for the degree programme or the gamsats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I'm not sure about the ones in Ireland needing a science undergraduate degree but I imagine it will be a 2.1 at the very least. I know there are quite a few universities across the pond where you can apply with any degree, again a 2.1 most of the time though, so you should consider looking at them. A useful website for the UK is

www.medschoolsonline.co.uk

The big thing you need to consider is the cost. Over here it will cost 25 000 a year with the HEA paying 13 000 of that and leaving you to come up with 12 000 a year. Multiply that by 4 and you're looking at 48 000 :eek:

I'm doing a science undergrad at the moment and am thinking about applying for medicine but at that price I really need to make sure it's what I want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

hey guys, yeah i'm finding myself in the exact same situation , i've done two years of maths in college but am thinking strongly aboyt GE medicine after i finish. is there any way around the massive price tag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Ava Grace

Get a hold of the sample papers and look at the questions. They are quite indicative of what the standard is. A typical science question is one in which they give you a huge chunk of text that's full of scientific jargon, and in 1 minute 30 seconds you are expected to be able to speed read the text and answer the questions that follow. It's way easier if you're comfortable with the subject matter! The other skills for the science section, are more innate IMO, like being able to read information off graphs quickly and accurately, as well as being able to manipulate formulae.

I sat the exam this year and whilst I didn't get in I got a pretty decent score, just missed it :( I have an Arts background and only gave myself 2 months to shove as much physics, biology and chemistry into my overly indulged Arts skull as possible, not enough time, for me anyway! It is possible to get in without a science degree, I know a girl who did Commerce and got in this year. The day of the exam I had the good fortune of sitting next to a pharmacy graduate who finished the science section before time, I just let out this tiny whimper lol!

The best thing is to get a hold of the sample papers and suss out for yourself if, even with x amount of study, you have the aptitude for what they're demanding, both for the GAMSAT and the degree itself.

Advertisement