Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmm.... Issues

Options
  • 22-05-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Hello, today in work I requested a raise for the second time. The person whom looks after such requests I only see maybe once a month.

I was unsuccessful with the first request, was given an option of going on commission (I work in sales, part time, but full time over the summer) This would see my hourly rate dropping considerably but the ability to gain a % of everything I sell. I didn't like that idea because as a college student working part time, I would simply not have enough hours to make even equal, nevermind more than the stardard flat rate. So I stuck with my normal wage. (If I did go on commission, I would stay on it, meaning I would make more over summer, but far, far, far less money when back in college)

The person I spoke to today (same guy obviously) said what I expected him to say tbh. "Well, as you know usually commission is the way of getting more cash, and in most other cases part timers generally do not get more than XYZ amount" But he seemed to ensure me he will definately look into it and consider it properly after he heard what I had to say.

I basically said working here 2 years come August,
    Very reliable
    Very good at what I do
    Almost always up for helping out if someone calls in sick etc.. (covering for them)
    I share more responsiblity than any other part timer in any other branch (I work in a large irish owned electrical retailer, 200ish employees, wont name though)

Basically was looking for advice as to how to react if:

A) He doesn't bother getting back to me (Being ignorant and v.unprofessional)

B) He says Yes (good- "Thanks")

C) He says No - This part is the main one I need advice on, cause a former employee, who was let go because this person was deemed unrequired after 3-4 months, did less work than me, had less hours, almost no responsibility, got quite a bit more money than I did. Now, It's none of my business what this person brought home, but in this context it seems very important.

I may be a number on the company's computer and a part timer, but I geuinely believe a raise is needed.

Also, I cannot afford to quit atm (Not going to let them know that though)
    As I have bills and a holiday to pay for.

Options?

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Hard to advise - not knowing the culture of the company ie - do they look at part timers as people to be exploited or are they genuinely interested in their performance.

The one peice of advice I can offer is that when asking for a raise - do it in a formal setting - i,e set up a specific meeting to discuss your remuneration.

Also ensure that if someone promises to review your pay that you agree a date for them to come back to you

From your post I would say you are a good contributor and a good employee - you set out the problem very clearly.

Always be on look out for more suitable positions in other companies - it strengthens your bargaining position greatly !

Best of luck ! sorry can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The one peice of advice I can offer is that when asking for a raise - do it in a formal setting - i,e set up a specific meeting to discuss your remuneration.

Also ensure that if someone promises to review your pay that you agree a date for them to come back to you

Always be on look out for more suitable positions in other companies - it strengthens your bargaining position greatly !

Thanks, you made some good points. What would have been the best way of basically getting a time frame for a reply?

Unfortunately, I cant look elsewhere for work atm due to the need for steady flow of money for holidays, bills etc... It would be a last resort anyway, as I do like the job and it's dead handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

GrumPy wrote: »
    Thanks, you made some good points. What would have been the best way of basically getting a time frame for a reply?

Unfortunately, I cant look elsewhere for work atm due to the need for steady flow of money for holidays, bills etc... It would be a last resort anyway, as I do like the job and it's dead handy.

Again it's down to company culture - anytime I look for a raise I say to the person - "can we agree a reasonable time to give me a decision on this - this day week?"

The worst that can happen is that they look for a bit longer time - but you have a definate date.

Advertisement