Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured young magpie- what to do?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm hoping someone might have some advice on this. My cat got hold of a magpie this morning, until I frightened him to let him go... he's a magpie chick but isn't too small, he looks strong enough. He doesn't seem to be injured as far as I can see but his parents were in the trees making an awful racket for ages trying to call him... but the poor little thing mustn't be able to fly yet, he hopped around the garden. Later today, we enclosed him in the garden, put water and bought a seed/insect/fat feeder in a coconut shell, and some brown bread soaked in water- I don't think he's eaten any though. I know magpies eat eggs, but don't know if I should give him some. Also put grass and bits of plants, looks like a nest, if he might sit on it.
    He seems to be ok, he's even looking up at me, but with my cat being outdoors, I don't know what to do... we shouldn't really let him out as he can't fly. If anyone has any advice, that would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I suppose if the parents are so concerned. The best thing to do is find his nest which should be nearby. It is usually a very distinctive type of nest. It is enlcosed like a wasps nest except for a hole that they get in and out through. Check its the only nest and pop it in the hole. If its the wrong nest at least they will have some dinner for the night.

Try not to get human smell on it.... not sure if exactly that's the same for magpies but it's a general rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kitcatz

Thanks pirelli! I think they nest in a tree two doors down in the front, at the road, and a tree on the opposite side of the road... you'd see them going in and out a lot, but getting up there would be impossible- too high up.
    I just read about putting him in a hanging basket and hang it up in a tree, where the parents will find him and feed him. But he's big enough to be moving around... I don't know if he'll stay in the basket while I lift him up or if he'll try to get out and fall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

If you can, do nothing, if its not injured most likely its just fledged which means its out of the nest but just not able to fly yet.
    Its parents will feed and look after it until its able to fly and look after itself which shouldn't take too long.
    Assuming its not injured, then this is perfectly normal behavior, the best thing you can do is just let them do what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

pirelli wrote: »
    Check its the only nest and pop it in the hole. If its the wrong nest at least they will have some dinner for the night.

I'm realy hoping this is a joke :eek:

Edit: Maybe I misread your post but you can see why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

kitcatz wrote: »
    Thanks pirelli! I think they nest in a tree two doors down in the front, at the road, and a tree on the opposite side of the road... you'd see them going in and out a lot, but getting up there would be impossible- too high up.
    I just read about putting him in a hanging basket and hang it up in a tree, where the parents will find him and feed him. But he's big enough to be moving around... I don't know if he'll stay in the basket while I lift him up or if he'll try to get out and fall...

Seriously just leave it alone and do nothing its normal behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kitcatz

Thanks gerky, I know, I would leave it be if it wasn't for the cats, we have two cats who are outdoors, and with him not being able to fly, they'd surely get him if we let him out. I know he can't be kept in there too long. I just looked in at him and he's asleep... his heat behind his wing, the poor little thing.

I'm hoping he was joking too! I thought, surely that's not what he means, since the rest of the message was so nice!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

micmclo wrote: »
    I'm realy hoping this is a joke :eek:

Edit: Maybe I misread your post but you can see why

LoL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As already said. Just leave it be. The parents know where it is and to climb to many Magoie nests is just far too dangerous by the very nature of the tpye of limbs they build on.

Advertisement