Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Under the Bonnet stuff!

Options
  • 22-05-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My test is in 12 days :eek:

Was just wondering is there anything else they can ask about whats under the bonnet thats not on the below list:

Coolant
    Washer Fluid
    Brake Fluid
    Oil (and dipstick)

And if the tester asks how you would check the tyres, whats the best thing to say?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

they may ask about power steering fluid, as most cars on the road these days have it. Or ask where anti freeze goes..(same place as the coolant).

Im open to correction, but to check the tyres, just say you would make sure there is at least 2mm thread depth. Not sure if they ask about checking tyre pressure.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

im pretty sure the tyre thread depth is 6mm.
    I dont think there's anything else they ask thats under the bonnet.
    best of luck!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Mackman wrote: »
    im pretty sure the tyre thread depth is 6mm.
    I dont think there's anything else they ask thats under the bonnet.
    best of luck!! :)

Nope, we're both wrong - From the RSA website -
    According to research conducted by the ITIA* it is estimated that 1 in 8 cars on our roads may be below the legal tread depth limit of 1.6mm. This could mean that as many as 200,000 cars could be driving on illegal tyres on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

haha i knew there was a 6 in there somewhere:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

They asked me to identify my battery and also asked how i would check if my lights were working from behind the wheel if i was on my own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

I've heard that alot in SGS test centres. "How to check your BRAKE lights are working if alone in the car?" I ask some of my clients that and they don't know. I ask them to think about it.
    Reverse the car in the dark in front of a wall or window and press the brake pedal to look for the reflection in your rear-view mirror.
    They ask where is the.............?:
    Engine Oil
    Engine Coolant
    Brake-Fluid
    Water for windscreen
    Power-steering fluid (if any)
    They always ask:
    How to check the level of oil in the car too.

Take out dipstick
    Wipe with a cloth/kitchen towel etc
    Put it back in fully and take it back out
    The level of oil should be between the markers or grooves in the dipstich indicating the max and minimum level.
    If it is below the minimum level you must top up the oil with the correct type of oil according to the owners manual.
    Top it up to the max level but never more than the max level
    If there is too much oil in the car you'll be burning oil.
    This is very bad for the engine and there will be blue smoke coming out of the exhaust!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

i was asked - " how would you know if one of your indicator bulbs was not working from inside the car ?"

ans : it will flash and click faster than normal.

Advertisement