Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cash Discount ?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 7:26pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

going to look a motor - mpv -tomorrow in the north.
    It's list at 8,695stg - what % discount should I hope to get paying cash eventually.

Can the garage claim back the car tax - that I will not be using - importing to south.
    What other tips/tricks to use to get as much discount as possible,

thx

karl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Interesting questions - would also be very keen to hear replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi folks,

going to look a motor - mpv -tomorrow in the north.
    It's list at 8,695stg - what % discount should I hope to get paying cash eventually.

Can the garage claim back the car tax - that I will not be using - importing to south.
    What other tips/tricks to use to get as much discount as possible,

thx

karl.

Right, as a former member of the motor trade, I'll try and help.
    There's no set % to how much discount you should aim for. If it's a garage, i'd be hitting them between the legs and offering 7500 or 7750 and see how you get on. If its a private seller, i'd bid about 8100 or 8200. The reason its higher is that a private seller may well get insulted at a low offer. Bare in mind though that the seller is well within their rights to give no money off but thats unusual. It depends really on the value of the vehicle, (purchase price + VRT = cost price, compared to the price of the MPV in the south)

As for the Road tax, this can be refunded to the owner in the UK. So make the seller aware that the car is being export and to take the remainder of the tax from his price. Wait till the very end to mention though so its not included in the deal!!!!;)

As for hints and tips to getting money off, take a good look at the vehicle, any scratches or marks on the vehicle, each one will be e100 to e15o each to fix per panel. same for tyres. missing trim. Concentrate on the bad points of the car!!!! don't look as if your after falling in love with the car or the salesman will just stand his ground with the ins and outs of the deal!!! act unconvinced (but not rude) about the car and he'll do everything he can do to get you into it!
    He'll also be more willing to do business as its approaching the end of the month and he'll have his target to worry about!!

Advertisement