Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Wobbles

Options
  • 22-05-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

A strange and frightening thing happened to me yesterday while out training. I got what I think is termed, a speed wobble. In fact the whole frame wobbled. I didn't think aluminium and carbon could, frankly, wobble so much/violently.

I was coming down a fairly fast decent (I reckon 1: 10) on a narrowish road. I'm not a nervious decender (at least up until yesterday!) but I'm not one of these kamikaze decenders either. I was in the drops freewheeling. There was a strong, gusty cross wind and a car approached. I applied both brakes evenly as the car approached just to be sure...and then it happened. The whole bike just started to shake under me. Of course I was afraid of crashing and braked harder, which might have made matters worse. I managed to stop the bike completly without falling off but it certainly frightened the bejasus out of me.

I checked my speedo, I was doing 35.5MPH so I wasn't going fast. I also checked the headset....rocking the bike forwards & backwards with both braked on full. The was no play in it. The bike handled fine before, and again after, although I did take it easier on any more downhills.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it might have happened?

Advertisement