Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis D4D

Options
  • 22-05-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand diesel Avensis (year 04/05/06)

Engine size is either a 2.0 L (114bhp) or a 2.2 L (148bhp).

I was always aware are three spec levels; Aura, Strata & Luna - of which Luna is the best. But then i read somewhere that the spec levels are T1, T2, T3, T3-x, T4 & T Spirit. Do these 'new' levels only apply to recent models. I'm a bit confused on this, excuse the ignorance.

Anyhow - looking for any suggestions from Avensis drivers what they think is the best engine/spec to go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

paddyblue wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand diesel Avensis (year 04/05/06)

Engine size is either a 2.0 L (114bhp) or a 2.2 L (148bhp).

I was always aware are three spec levels; Aura, Strata & Luna - of which Luna is the best. But then i read somewhere that the spec levels are T1, T2, T3, T3-x, T4 & T Spirit. Do these 'new' levels only apply to recent models. I'm a bit confused on this, excuse the ignorance.

T1, T2 etc are UK models. Irish have always been Aura, Strata & Luna (in current Avensis). No direct spec comparison between Irish and UK Versions.

2.0D4d had a power hike with the facelift (06 I think) to 125bhp. 2.2D will be a very rare car in Irish Spec, and not worth any premium over the 2.0d.

I've driven a good few, never for very long though. Will rarely go wrong, but won't exactly rock your world as far as driving experiences go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I hear the D4D is a good strong machine, but the new avensis is british-built, and there have been reports of trouble. I'd steer (forgive the pun) clear of it for the moment.

See:http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=635&

A friend has a D4D avensis for work, and finds it difficult to live with, clutch went very quickly, door locks failed. Watch the glow plugs too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Avensis is best described as a device for moving people from A to B as far as the driving experience is concerned. The diesel is better though because it has proper hydraulic power steering rather than the artificial electric power steering that the 1.6 and 1.8 petrols have.

The diesel is good for a diesel, though I prefer the 1.8 petrol engine.

I wouldn't bother than anything smaller than the 1.8. The 1.8 is adequate but it is a big car and it could not afford anything less powerful.

Apart from the driving experience it is an excellent car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

I imported an 07 D4D T2 Tourer in january. Its extremely well built, drives very well. IMHO, its better than the '04 A4 tdi I had previously which had poor reliability for me...

From July 07, all D4D avensis come with 6 speed box, 9 airbags, traction control and stability control. I have covered about 10k miles so far and not probs. I get about 60mpg on a long run, high 40s around town.

The toyota warranty is pan-european so Toyota in Ireland are obliged to honour it...

The "T" specs are UK specs - take care with satnav's on UK imports as some only have UK maps and a difficult to update maps on... (not worth the expense IMHO)

There is a new avensis to come out in 2009 ...

I imported from the UK as I could only find 3-4 D4D tourers in Ireland to choose from all with inter galatic mileage...

(Hint, go to a Toyota dealer and drive a new one....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i recently imported a 2005 D4D from England. im pretty happy with the car so far.

its 116bhp, not slow but not quick if you know what i mean.

top spec in ireland is the luna, cloth seats no sat nav etc etc

in england ya get :
    T2 : pretty much entry level, hub caps and the like
    T3S : same as T2 with added alloys and uprated seats
    T3X : same as T3 except you get sat nav instead of the "good" seats
    T4 : you get the sat nav and the seats
    T-Spirit :all of the above plus full leather interier

i think thats the difference but i do stand to be corrected if im wrong!

i went to England because its hard enough to get a T spirit in ireland never mind a T spirit Saloon, and thats what i got in Birmingham.
    sat nav in my car is a DVD based system, i think its the TNS300 or something, but it works perfect in ireland so far for me.

384029_2118-1.jpg

384029_2380.jpg

384029_2381.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maoleary wrote: »
    I hear the D4D is a good strong machine, but the new avensis is british-built, and there have been reports of trouble. I'd steer (forgive the pun) clear of it for the moment.

Both generations of Avensis have been British built, as was the Carina E. It's a very reliable and well built car, I deal with them every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Avoid the basic Aura model. Most D-4D models sold here were Strata which are pretty tight on kit too but still better than the Aura. If you can find a Luna spec 2.0 then all the better. 2.2 D-4D was only sold here in Luna trim afaik and is as rare as hen's teeth due to the higher VRT and road tax.

I had a 1.8 Luna for over 4 years and clocked up over 160k miles, no major issues with the car, a few small silly things that were covered under Toyota warranty or recalls. My father still has the car and its still running sweet if starting to use a little more oil.

The thing with the D-4Ds here is that they are still fetching silly money even in basic Aura trim so my advice would be to go over to the UK and get one there after July when the VRT rate should drop.

The 2.2 is more common over there and to be honest I would look for the 180bhp version (we only got the 150bhp). It was badged T180 afaik which is the top of the range model in the UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

this forum might help you too : http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=51

as said above, the 2.2 150bhp version would be nice or even better would be the T180!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there is very little difference between a 150bhp 2.2 and a 125bhp 2.0 diesel. very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Hopefully with the new VRT laws Toyota will sell more upmarket and more powerful versions of the Avensis diesel.

Like for instance make the Sol model available in the D-4D 125 and 150, Sols seem to be identical to T Spirits across the pond bar the lack of satnav.

AFAIK Lunas are the same as T3-X models over there, and Auras are the same as their T2 model, while Stratas are the same as the T3-S model except no satnav.

• Advertisement
Advertisement