Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt how far can you go?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for you all...
    how far can you push your car without a timing belt dieing? i'm on 63,000 as is i plan to get it changed next week (wednesday) but until then i still need the car to run for work etc. buses aren't an option. Is it still safe to drive? or am I best to leave it parked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How lucky do you feel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Well it really depends on the make of car TBH ive seen European makes snap before their due date and japs running well past 100K , but if its due then i would get it done sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Don't do it. Get it changed.
    If you don't get it changed, let us know how far it "went"......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No way to tell really, too many factors.

Weather, temperature, mileage, heat, quality of the belt, tensioners.

Needless to say i wouldnt chance it.

I have one friend who had a week for his TB change and it snapped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Can you get the cover off to have a look at it?

If it still looks ok, its should hold till next week ...if it shows signs of wear, don't chance it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Always do timing belts before they're due..

I wouldn't risk it at all.

Car meant to be done at 60k and it's being done at 45k intervals.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My first car (Mk III Fiesta) did over 150k miles and I never changed it! You could buy a brand new car and two days later it could go.
    Replacement is not a guarantee that it will not fail - it just reduces the likleihood

kbannon wrote: »
    My first car (Mk III Fiesta) did over 150k miles and I never changed it! You could buy a brand new car and two days later it could go.
    Replacement is not a guarantee that it will not fail - it just reduces the likleihood

Reduces the likelihood an enormous amount!
    Hardly a fair way of putting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Reduces the likelihood an enormous amount!
    And, more importantly, makes it someone else's fault.;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    And, more importantly, makes it someone else's fault.;)

Ah but of course :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I bought a second hand Accord 3 years ago. The car had 40,000 miles on the clock and asked the dealer to change it as part of the deal. Took the car and traded in back to the same dealer in January. Mentioned that the belt would be due soon. Lo and behold, when she checked the records it had never been changed:eek:.

I had 95,000 miles on the clock. Was I lucky or what? Needless to say they took it directly into the garage for a belt change.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The timing belt dosn't suddenly snap at 60,000 miles. you're just as likely to have snapped it a month ago as you are next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Many cars that are sold here will have an interval of 60,000 miles, while the exact same model will have an interval of 90,000 miles in the US. Read what you want into it, but I wouldn't be starting to panic yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

they can snap from old age quicker than high mileage, if its a new model dont chanch it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

i wouldnt chance it either, mine was done at 56,000 miles, left it in tonight to be done at 108,000 even though manufacturer says 60,000 between intervals, better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

My 13 year old honda prelude had 115k on the clock then i got it changed.
    i thought (incorrectly) that it had already been done :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

First off, OP doesn't state what car he's talking about - ergo what the manufacturers recommended change criteria are... so we don't know whether its over the limit so to speak...

Timing belts are being phased out, no harm. A properly spec'd and lubricated chain drive will last the life of the engine. Belts were a fashion fad IMHO, good riddance to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Oilrig wrote: »
    Timing belts are being phased out, no harm. A properly spec'd and lubricated chain drive will last the life of the engine. Belts were a fashion fad IMHO, good riddance to them.

I hope you're right there. BMW and Mercedes have mostly used chains and the likes of Nissan went back to them quite a while ago. Iirc even Toyota are changing back to chains. Timing belts are the worst things ever to be put into cars imho

My belt was changed 6k miles ago. That was nearly 5 years ago though. It will have to be replaced soon enough again. Rubber deteriorates with time :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I did a 96 Mondeo about 15k ago at 87k miles. No idea when it had been done before so I did all the tensioners and the water pump. When I removed the belt, it looked alright and I had to make a tool 5mm from angled steel to lock the cams.

It's still running like a clock and I did it all from a Haynes manual for 200 quid or so.

Better safe than sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

oh god timing belts give me the shivers
    heres a story for you

i was driving my Astra van home and i had gone about a week with a loose timing belt and i was on the n11 and i was doin about 90ish worried to **** that the belt would blow up on me
    suddenly i see flashing lights and im pulled over and the guy hops out and says
    whats your reason for speeding or something like that and my exact response was

my timing belt is about to go and im rushing home as fast as i can so it it doesnt break on me!!

the guy looks at me and then at the car and says if i ever see u speeding here againt ill take your car
    and i was like yeah ok thank you thank you and i left

i was VERY lucky that day
    needless to say i got it fixed

funny thing is i know some people will know this part of the n11
    its from the new section where they have built a **** load of round abouts and bridges and its next to Garage where he sells those 2 hummers
    i was pulled over there

basically right iv never ever seen garda or anyone of that sort on that part
    i just got unlucky but lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I have a Mk IV Golf (1.4) with 97500 miles on it. First car. Bought it with 76k on it. TB was done at 52k, and when I last got the car serviced (bout 87k) the indy mechanic I went to said I should get the TB done at 92k! Is this right? I'll be getting it done anyway in the next few weeks but i'd like to know whats expected out of a Golf TB!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

first of all thanks for all feed back to all users
    secondly im now drunk
    craichoe wrote: »
    No way to tell really, too many factors.

Weather, temperature, mileage, heat, quality of the belt, tensioners.

Needless to say i wouldnt chance it.

I have one friend who had a week for his TB change and it snapped :(
    jesus the scare stories!!!!
    peasant wrote: »
    Can you get the cover off to have a look at it?

If it still looks ok, its should hold till next week ...if it shows signs of wear, don't chance it.

i could take a look but a lotta work involved the engine compartment is VERY compact
    ClioV6 wrote: »
    Always do timing belts before they're due..

I wouldn't risk it at all.

Car meant to be done at 60k and it's being done at 45k intervals.

yes but i cant afford it until thursday (pay day)
    Oilrig wrote: »
    First off, OP doesn't state what car he's talking about - ergo what the manufacturers recommended change criteria are... so we don't know whether its over the limit so to speak...

god i wish i had a timing chain. for future reference its a hyundai accent (00) GS. so far over 63,000 i'm afraid any time i turn the key that i'm about to unleash 2k worth of damage. i only have the car a week or so. hence i dont want to write it off but i need it for work otherwise its over 3hours on buses as opposed to 1hour in a car with a potentially blown timing belt

How hard is it to change? i have a fair bit of knowledge and if its simple enought i'll chance it myself. basically is it like changning a fan belt? or a tad bit more complicated because of the actual timing and valves movin the slightest bit off?

Advertisement