Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi router eircom - 802.11g/n?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've my broadband with eircom, standard 1 mb line i think, and want to get a wifi router. The plan is to use it for online gaming with a ps3, but other family members would probably want to use the internet as well. would getting an 802.11n router make a difference as regard lag on the ps3 if someone else was surfing in the other room? or would the standard g router be the same? it's not a big house so the extended range isn't really an issue

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

simonw wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've my broadband with eircom, standard 1 mb line i think, and want to get a wifi router. The plan is to use it for online gaming with a ps3, but other family members would probably want to use the internet as well. would getting an 802.11n router make a difference as regard lag on the ps3 if someone else was surfing in the other room? or would the standard g router be the same? it's not a big house so the extended range isn't really an issue

Thanks

Normal gaming won't produce anywhere near the traffic needed to congest the 54 mbps of 802.11g, let alone the 248 mbps of 802.11n. 802.11n does have an advantage in range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

so a g router would be fine?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It would have to. The PS3 doesn't support n networks, nor do Eircom routers so they would only be able to run a g speeds anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

simonw wrote: »
    so a g router would be fine?

Cheers

g should be enough for your needs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

To get the full benefits of 'n' all the other items in the network have to be capable of n - wireless cards etc. Which makes it an expensive option!

• Advertisement
Advertisement