Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with new bike

Options
  • 22-05-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Have about 60K done on new road bike.
    When out for spin yesterday a clicking noise developed from large chain crank area(excuse lack of lingo) seemed to be losing a bit of purchase also and was more pronounced when climbing or pushing tough gear.
    Wheelworx told me that chain would need to loosen up or something and to bring it back after 4-5 weeks to get it serviced etc so I am just wondering if it needs that tune up or maybe just something I can tighten myself ?

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

sounds like the cables have stretched on the front derailleur and the chain is now touching off it, especially as the frame flexes under load.
    Alternatively, are you on a triple but haven't yet discovered how to 'trim' the front mech to it's middle ring positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

If this is happening once every revolution it could just be your foot rubbing the crank arm or hitting the excess cable from the front shifter. If it's a lot more than that then perhaps your chain is rubbing the dérailleur cage, this should be obvious by looking down at it when the noise is being produced. I'm running a new chain at the minute and there doesn't seem to be any 'breaking in' required. Also, it's a bit soon for you to have shot your bottom bracket.

Edit: Damnit Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

My foot is definitely not rubbing against anything and its not the chain rubbing the derailler cage as I know what that sounds like and how to stop it.
    KENMC I havnt a clue what u mean - new to cycling
    It feels like the 'pedal arm' is slipping through a crank nut ever so slightly on every revolution. I think thats the best way to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Stiff link maybe, run the chain backwards and see does the rear dérailleur 'kick'

http://bicycletutor.com/stiff-chain-link/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

My foot is definitely not rubbing against anything and its not the chain rubbing the derailler cage as I know what that sounds like and how to stop it.
    KENMC I havnt a clue what u mean - new to cycling
    It feels like the 'pedal arm' is slipping through a crank nut ever so slightly on every revolution. I think thats the best way to put it.
    then it sounds like your pedal is loose, but nowadays they are usually an a tapered square spline, so that's not really possible, unlike the olden days when they had circular spindles, circular holes and 'cotters' to stop the pedal arm just turning on the axle. If you hold one crank (left I guess) steady can you feel play in the other one?
    What sort of bike?
    edit: sorry not pedal, crank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I will have to have a good look at it this evening
    Thanks for help
    Its a Trek 1.5

Advertisement