Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin F5D7632 & BT Broadband

Options
  • 22-05-2008 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭

Morning all.
    I received a new vista laptop and a Belkin ADSL Modem/Wireless Router yesterday, and for the life of me, I can connect to t'internet.
    Steps I've completed so far are:
    Plug in Router.
    Connect phone-line.
    Connect laptop to port4.
    Access router homepage (192.168.2.1 or whatever).
    Managed to input my username (xxxxxxx@btbb)
    Entered my password.
    And I think I left everything else as standard. There was something about PPPoE, dunno what that is though.
    There was also something about "channel", which by default was set to 11, but I changed to Auto.
    Never setup WEP or anything, as I don't understand about WEP keys, 64-bit/128-bit encryption, etc.:o
    So I saved all that, and went to connect to wireless network. It could see the signal, along with all my neighbours signals, but my signal was the only one with a warning shield so I couldn't connect to it.

I think all that's right. I'm working from memory as I'm in work now.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. The Belkin above I ordered as an extra. The machine actually came with a Belkin wireless router (non-modem). I have a Zyxel wired router that I got from BT, and never had a problem with it. Could I connect the wireless router to the wired router, it take all it's settings automatically, and I'm away in a hack?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Soarer wrote: »
    Morning all.
    I received a new vista laptop and a Belkin ADSL Modem/Wireless Router yesterday, and for the life of me, I can connect to t'internet.
    Steps I've completed so far are:
    Plug in Router.
    Connect phone-line.
    Connect laptop to port4.
    Access router homepage (192.168.2.1 or whatever).
    Managed to input my username (xxxxxxx@btbb)
    Entered my password.
    And I think I left everything else as standard. There was something about PPPoE, dunno what that is though.
    There was also something about "channel", which by default was set to 11, but I changed to Auto.
    Never setup WEP or anything, as I don't understand about WEP keys, 64-bit/128-bit encryption, etc.:o
    So I saved all that, and went to connect to wireless network. It could see the signal, along with all my neighbours signals, but my signal was the only one with a warning shield so I couldn't connect to it.

I think all that's right. I'm working from memory as I'm in work now.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. The Belkin above I ordered as an extra. The machine actually came with a Belkin wireless router (non-modem). I have a Zyxel wired router that I got from BT, and never had a problem with it. Could I connect the wireless router to the wired router, it take all it's settings automatically, and I'm away in a hack?

Did you not check to see if you were connected to your isp while still using the ethernet connection?

Did you read the manual about setting up the Belkin? 'Thinking' that you did or did not do something is not going to get you set up nor is it going to help people on here figure out what you may or may not have done.

Basic Modem Config:
    Username:
    Password:
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Did you put in the basic settings above?

To answer your second question you will have to put the zyxel into bridge mode or turn off dhcp in the belkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for your reply dub45.
    dub45 wrote: »
    Did you not check to see if you were connected to your isp while still using the ethernet connection?
    Nope. Didn't realise I could do that, but thinking about it now, it seems like an obvious thing to try! :o

Did you read the manual about setting up the Belkin?
    Nope. I'm a man! ;)
    More seriously though, it didn't come with a paper manual, and it never dawned on me to check for a disc.
    Did you put in the basic settings above?
    Nope again. Didn't know there was such a thing as "basic modem settings". And tbh, if I knew about such things, I'd hardly need to be here asking for help.:rolleyes:
    To answer your second question you will have to put the zyxel into bridge mode or turn off dhcp in the belkin.

So would I be better using the "small" router in conjunction with the Zyxel, or using the "big" modem/router on it's own?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nope again. Didn't know there was such a thing as "basic modem settings". And tbh, if I knew about such things, I'd hardly need to be here asking for help.:rolleyes:

Well it is possible to have put them in and for the connection not to be there for some other reason.

So would I be better using the "small" router in conjunction with the Zyxel, or using the "big" modem/router on it's own?

The best thing is try both options and see which gives you the best performance.

Thanks again dub.

I'm gonna go home this evening and get it sorted one way or another. If I'm honest though, I don't think I'll be comparing which one is best. If I can get either of them working, I'm gonna leave it at that! :o

Got it working last evening! :D

I downloaded the manual and used the sample settings they had, and nothing happened.
    So I restored default settings, and tried again using the modem settings posted above. They worked a treat!
    The settings in the manual were almost identical. They had VCI: 0 instead of 8. Don't know why 0 didn't work, but 8 certainly did.

That gave me the confidence to connect my desktop to the router too. That went very smooth, and now I have my laptop and desktop surfing smoothly!

Now if someone can help me figure out Vista and Media Centre, I'd be laughing!:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement