Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea's, advice, help!

Options
  • 22-05-2008 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

It is now less than 13 days to the leaving cert! I am in a bit of a situation, i have not studied nor have been to class in the last year! This is my third year actually trying to complete the leaving cert for health reasons! :( I am just struggling to actually start studying, and wondering how will i get through so much coursework in so little time! I don't need, nor am i aiming to get that many points, i am looking to achieve in the 200 to 300 points area. I have a few questions for everyone out there. 1) Is the coursework in home-economics, geography and agricultural science necessary to pass, in other-words can i still do the exam even if i haven't done the coursework 2) Is 200 points achievable at such a late stage 3)What, if any are the best methods for cramming. 4) Is it too late to even start studying.

Any help much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

1) Is the coursework in home-economics, geography and agricultural science necessary to pass

No, but without them you'll need 50% in the Geography exam to pass, and I'm pretty sure the same in Home Ec.
    2) Is 200 points achievable at such a late stage

I don't know anything about you. Maybe you could. Maybe you couldn't. You should try anyway.
    3)What, if any are the best methods for cramming.

Google will throw a lot of interesting articles on the subject at you. But waste no more than a few minutes deciding how to approach study. You really need to get down to it asap.
    4) Is it too late to even start studying.

I don't know if it's too late to reach your goal at this stage. But I do know that if you study for the next fortnight you will do better than if you don't study, so just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Dont worry man.

I'm repeating because I did absolutely nothing last year. I got 250, was disapointed but it was what i deserved. Just concentrate on subjects you are strongest at and just skim over the rest.

For example I have 6days between my Art Hist. and Classics exam so I'm leaving Classics for those 6days.

Geography is easy enough to get marks in as it is marked on a S(ignificant) R(elevant) P(oints) which im guessing you know already. SO just learn off 10-12 points for certain topics and you will be fine.

Manly just relax about it, it'll work out trust me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Drodan wrote: »
    Manly just relax about it, it'll work out trust me! ;)
    Why should we trust you, if it worked out for you then why are you repeating?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

alan4cult wrote: »
    Why should we trust you, if it worked out for you then why are you repeating?

Because I did **** all work, result got ****ed up ie my supposed minimun B1 in Classics and my actually D1 along with my high B in art and the actual C3.

I did get offers, but I didn't want them. I want to do Sports Management and would prefer to repeat then waste my arsing about some boring course I don't want, plus I didn't know about that course last year, great career guidance there.

And also I NEVER SAID IT WORKED OUT FOR ME!!
    Read all the post before you go mouthing off ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

i wud think just try nd know a little bit on each subject and spend equal amounts of time at each. like as long as u can fill in the odd thing, u'l pick up points along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

1) Is the coursework in home-economics, geography and agricultural science necessary to pass, in other-words can i still do the exam even if i haven't done the coursework

you can be prevented from passing ag science if you didn't complete the coursework, I've never heard of an incidence of it so it probably won't happen, but it's worth 25%, so it's a large chunk of marks down the drain.

health aside, why try and study 3 subjects where you have lost out on so many marks already by not submitting coursework? would it not be easier to do subjecst that are 100% exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Play the predictions game but play it SMART. And at the same time do NOT spend MUCH TIME AT ALL on study plans (I used the blank space at the bottom of the last page before the exam timetable in the candidate info booklet to decide what subjects I need to be really working on now, and what subjects I can essentially leave to the days in between exams or in the weekends in June) or looking at the predictions thread (which btw is a mess, shouldn't we have a predictions thread for each subject and then levels perhaps where appropriate? Will a mod do this or will I start threads for maths/physics I need/have predictions for?).

At this point.. you may or may not be okay. I can cram pretty well in 13 days but I COULD NOT be trying to understand new tough things. That's me, I don't know about you.

You can go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

... wondering how will i get through so much coursework in so little time! I don't need, nor am i aiming to get that many points...

you don't have to study all of every course so relax. you just said you're not aiming for to many points. if you want 300, you just need 50% average in each subject. so don't think of all the stuff you don't know, cos you're not going for all As. just concentrate on improving on the stuff you do know. so just relax and study what you know for now. then next week see if you can get some new stuff in before the exams. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jondunnowho

Thanks for all the replies, it was helpful to see whether or not it was achievable through past experiences and study ideas or tactics. I'm probably just freakin out at this stage! Plus the problem with the coursework was annoying me, I know i wasted marks but i'm gonna give the LC a lash and see what happens!

Wahey i'm pumped up now, give me those ****in books!:D

13 days to study?

You're gonna do well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement