Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light summer waterproof jacket

Options
  • 21-05-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

I wonder can anyone recommend a light waterproof top. i have an altura night vision jacket which is great for the winter weather but too heavy and warm for summer. What i am looking for is a jacket that will fold down fairly small and is light enough to go over a cycling top to keep me dry in warmer weather. As you all know we had plenty of wet weather last "summer" even when the weather was fairly mild..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That would be a Montane Featherlite Smock. 90g, easily folds into a stuff-sack (about the size of a tennis ball) that you can easily stick in a jersey pocket. One of the best things I have ever bought. Keeps the rain off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Blorg, is that Montane working good for you?
    I got this one ages ago and to be honest, it's rubbish: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11428

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Hey Seaswimmer,

I have this jacket, it's waterproof, breathable (Gore-Tex) and very light weight (Paclite) and for that price it's going very cheap. It will take a lot of heavy rain before getting wet. Berghaus Demigod Paclite Jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

I got this recently, Its ok so far and cheap enough. Very tight fitting so i recommend buying it one size too large

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=15151

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Thanks folks. you have given me plenty of options. i will check them all out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Raam wrote: »
    Blorg, is that Montane working good for you?
    I got this one ages ago and to be honest, it's rubbish: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11428
    It's working really well for me. Bought it last September and it has been holding up really well. I did some research and saw suggestions that the Smock worked better for rain protection than the jackets with full zip- is that your issue?

I haven't been out in torrential rain for hours with it but I have endured 30-45 minutes or so in heavy rain and it kept me dry. Certainly think it is more than up to Irish weather. It is rated as "showerproof" rather than "waterproof" but works better than my Altura Night Vision Waterproof if that is any help (mind you I have probably washed the waterproofing off the Night Vision at this stage.)

I'm using it in winter as well, as insurance to put over a non-waterproof type jacket/jersey (that is a lot more breathable than waterproofs or even windproofs I've found.)

Only consideration (I got the large) would be that it is a bit loose fitting and so flaps in the wind/downhill. This is not a big issue for me as I am using it really as insurance, I wouldn't start off on a spin by choice in the pissing rain. Works fine on the commute which I would have to do either way. Breathable and because it's so thin not too warm, but does have a definate wind-breaking effect.

The plus side of it being a bit roomy is that you can wear it over normal clothes; I take it with me as insurance if going out in the evening. Also on holiday- was tramping around Mt Etna in sub-zero temperatures and gale force wind back in March and it was very handy indeed. No inherent warmth but really breaks the wind. Stood up to the rain in Sicily very well also!

It really packs a lot smaller than other jackets; I have a Polaris Aqualite which is also in the "tiny packable" category but really doesn't pack half as small and would not fit fully into a jersey pocket. The Montane fits into a jersey pocket with room to spare for other stuff!

Advertisement