Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking if files were copied or not?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to check and see if files were copied from a memory stick to a different computer if you only have the memory stick?
    Loaned my memory stick to someone recently and while there's nothing on it that I don't mind people taking a look at, I'd prefer it if some of the files weren't copied. Is there any way I can check this wothout having to do the face to face thing?
    Thanks in advance,
    CT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,716 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Last Accessed datestamp should be visible from windows explorer for every file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Of course, that won't be able to tell you what actions were performed on the file. That kind of information isn't likely to be stored on the filesystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭trout

Is there any way to check and see if files were copied from a memory stick to a different computer if you only have the memory stick?
    Loaned my memory stick to someone recently and while there's nothing on it that I don't mind people taking a look at, I'd prefer it if some of the files weren't copied. Is there any way I can check this wothout having to do the face to face thing?
    Thanks in advance,
    CT.

Did you check the file properties, for the last accessed or last modified time ?
    Just right-click on the file and select properties (depending on the filesystem)

Some files also have extended properties, like MS Office files, and they will tell you when they were last accessed within the applications.

All files have an archive attribute, which sometimes tells you when they were accessed, but that depends on the software which accessed the files, resetting the archive bit.

At the risk of sounding simplistic ... if you don't want people accessing your files, don't leave them on the stick ... or at the very least, encrypt the files.

There are any number of free encryption utilities, which will give you some degree of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

In short, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Sherifu wrote: »
    In short, no.

+1

If you dont want people to have access to your files dont give them access . If you allow access you are effectively offering open season on them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You should have encrypted them.

All they have to do is copy from your memory stick and paste onto their computer. That will not come up on the time-stamp for "Last Accessed".
    It's when they actually open the file, while on your memory stick it gets time-stamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

How do you encrypt the files?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Free encryption software is usually pretty rubbish to say the least, but the 2 pasted above are known to be the best of the best of the free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anti wrote: »
    Free encryption software is usually pretty rubbish to say the least, but the 2 pasted above are known to be the best of the best of the free stuff.

Truecrypt is fairly cool and has been unfairly maligned in the above generalisation in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement