Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

take up music in 6th yr..advice please

Options
  • 21-05-2008 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

hey lovely people,

Here is my story =/

i was gonna do music as an extra subject at the start of 5th yr,because my opinion subjects clashed.. But things didn't quite work out,the music teacher that i had kinda just let me go, because apparently she thought i was doing music in school, i only came to her for grinds..(i was there what!!)and she realized she could only give me 45min per week which wasn't enough and she couldn't do it on weekends..She said she doesn't want to do it anymore..she didn't charge me for the 8 lessons...the whole thing didn't make much sense ,,but anyway..

so now...5th yr is nearly over , i took up applied maths this year, but i didn't really like it...and I am still thinking of music,but i missed like 10months..i was just wondering how hard it it to do music in one year?what is the course like..how much time do you have to devote on this extra subject..

I got B in music for the JC,I was hoping for an A..didn't know what happened there...I played the keyboard and whistle...

i very much appreciate for your advice

-candy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I'd say you'd definitely be able to pick it up in a year, if you work at it.

The practical is worth 50% which is more than in the JC, so .. that's the exam pretty much passed already, if you're in anyway decent! The theory and the works etc aren't that bad either. If you know a bit of music theory already, you'll be set. It's definitely doable, anyway! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you already play an instrument (having done music theory exams also helps a lot) it's not too bad... you can do 50% practical so technically you can pass without ever opening a book.

Set works are grand enough, and even if you don't know them inside out, if you know music theory you can bluff a lot of questions (ie what cadence is this, what instrument is playing, describe the texture, etc.). Irish music you'll have already done some for JC (I didn't do music for JC but that's what I've heard), composition takes a bit of practice but once you learn the rules it's all just applying it.

Simpler than applied maths, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

aw thx pplz!!

i still don't know what am i gonna do..extra subject ,extra effort ..><
    i don't want to play the keyboard, and don't think whistle counted?
    i can sing..

theory shouldn't be a problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

~Candy~ wrote: »
    i don't want to play the keyboard, and don't think whistle counted?

Play the recorder for part of it, and do the rest on melody writing software ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

well I did music as an extra sub but didnt do nethin in it for the first year!!
    then we got a new teacher in 6th yr!

Very possible sub to do the whole course in 1 yr!!

go ahead and go 4 it!

just keep practising for your practical,its a very easy 50 per cent as its based o performance!

also this yr there is a week gap between my last exam nd music giving me 7 days to just focus on music!!!

best of luck next year!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kathy_x_x

if you dont wanna play you can sing.. or do music technology!

music technology is so simple and for 25% its like the best exam you'll ever do!!

music is easy enough... I think you'll be fine

Advertisement