Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 21-05-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I have a hosting package with a US company, they are not answering my technical questions or answering the phine so I have decieded to move my hosting account.

I did not buy the domain name from them. What I need to know is, if I change the DNS with the people I have the domain name with, will it work just like that?

Do the current hosting company need to release anything?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

you didn't get the domain with them ... its with another crowd ... you need to add your domain to your new hosts name servers ... update all of your files on your new host ... and ... then change over to the new name servers .. and hopefully you should have minimum down time.

Ideally it should just go from the old to the new for everyone ...

Your mail may be a different issue ... some mails will end up on your old server .... and then the others will go to your new .. so make sure you backup your old mails and have a way of accessing them independant of your domain name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

+1 What forbairt said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Thanks guys.

It was all pretty painless once it propagated.

I use Gmail for all my mail so have back up on there.

Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement